1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

I want a Steve Martin commentary track!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Weinberg, Sep 21, 2001.

1. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I've been a massive fan of Steve Martin since I was about 8 and I just realized that I don't have ONE of his movies on DVD. (I have Little Shop of Horrors, but that's not a "Steve" movie despite his brilliant performance.)
    So I did a little digging and realized that most of this artist's work has gotten the short end of the digital stick.
    The Jerk - DVD released April, 1998. Fullscreen! Features: production notes and the trailer. Come on now! Isn't Universal supposed to be the king of SEs??? Surely this movie is popular enough to warrant a REAL DVD release! "One dollar and NINE CENTS!!!
    Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid - DVD released March 1999. OK, this one's is at least done in Widescreen...but not anamorphic. Again, just some production note and a trailer. This comedy is beloved by fans of the classic murder mysteries, and I want a Carl Reiner/Steve Martin commentary here explaining how tough it was to stage the re-enactments. Underrated comedy here.
    The Man with Two Brains - DVD released March 1999. No features. Nothing. Fullscreen. This is an affront to Steve Martin fans. This one deserves a better fate than this!
    The Lonely Guy - DVD released December 1998. Widescreen. Non-anamorphic. Prod. notes and trailers. This is a fantastic little movie, and I'd kill for a commentary between Steve and co-star Charles Grodin.
    All of Me - DVD released February 1999. YUCK! This brilliant comedy is delivered in a nasty fullscreen transfer, and the extras are predictably negligible. I consider this one a truly unheralded classic of modern comedy with some of the best physical comedy I've ever seen.
    Three Amigos
    Roxanne
    Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (I see something on the horizon...)
    Parenthood
    L.A. Story
    Sgt. Bilko
    Leap of Faith (MIA)
    A Simple Twist of Fate (MIA)
    My Blue Heaven, etc.
    Aside from the very nice-looking (yet again, bare bones) DVD of Planes, Trains and Automobiles and the very nice job Universal did on Bowfinger, Steve has gotten the digital shaft!
    Any other mildly disgruntled Steve Martin fans agree with any of this silliness? I know - I should just be happy that these titles are available on DVD at all, but I figure someone as creative as Steve could contribute some fun stuff to his DVDs.
    ------------------
    EDITED after 18 months to change some stunningly dumb mistakes on my part. Thanks, David! [​IMG]

2. Ricky f

Ricky f Supporting Actor

Steve Martin is a great actor and comedian.
    I would love to hear commentary from him on PARENTHOOD and PLANES, TRAINS AND AUTOMOBILES.
    I think Paramount should release a PLANES, TRAINS AND AUTOMOBILES Memorial DVD for John Candy.
    Regards,
    Ricky
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    www.petitiononline.com/UncutDVD
    Thank you WILL K for the banner

3. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Scott, look at your post objectively and you'll see it's confusing. You state the word "Widescreen" in a couple of places that, perhaps, you mean to say that YOU WANT A WIDESCREEN VERSION OF THAT TITLE.
    But when I first read it, I thought you were implying that the film so noted was widescreen.
    To be precise: The Jerk, All of Me, Parenthood, & The Man with Two Brains are all MAR releases. The first two of those are among my favorite 3 Steve Martin films, and they are NOT AVAILABLE IN WIDESCREEN.
    My 3rd-favorite is Roxanne, which IS available in anamorphic widescreen. Mental note to myself: pick up this DVD anyway, over my wife's objections that she hates the movie...I can watch it while she's out with friends. I've been a pussy about it for waaaay too long.
    I have the non-anamorphic widescreen release of Three Amigos; for a $9.99 Wal-Mart special, it is a pretty good bare-bones release. Acceptable for a movie that, IMHO, is just barely above "so-so", and didn't fully utilize all the talent that was in it. I know that other people appreciate this film more, and you're entitled to your opinion. If you want to demand a SE of this disc, okay. But I'll stick with the one I have.
    Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, when it's released on 12/4, will end up being similar in features to Planes, Trains, & Automobiles. Although DRS is from MGM, instead of Paramount...so you can expect the DRS disc to be at least $10 cheaper than PT&A!!! [​IMG] Oh, but be careful...it probably won't have a chapter stop list insert...this is a cheap MGM "dump" release, after all.
    Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid & The Lonely Guy; I'll wait for a markdown on these widescreen-but-not-anamorphic titles before I pick them up. They're frankly not worth $20 to me. I have to be in the mood to watch 'em; they're both a bit cornier than Steve's usual fair. Typical Universal over-pricing...don't get me started!
    In the end, you're right: Steve Martin is BADLY represented on DVD. I wonder if he realizes HOW badly? Do you think he owns a DVD player and some of his own movies? For the most part, his flicks are very enjoyable and well worth owning at the right price. What would I consider a reasonable price? Well, for what they're charging, I would demand anamorphic OAR and at least a couple of supplements. Some deleted scenes or bloopers for starters.
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    Did you want us to respect your cause? You just damned your cause.
    Did you want to make us fear? You just steeled our resolve.
    Did you want to tear us apart? You just brought us together.
    http://www.miami.com/herald/content/...ocs/000565.htm

4. barry

barry Agent

I remember reading somewhere that "DRS" will have a commentary track. Though I believe it will be with Frank Oz and no one else.
    Too Bad...

5. Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant Second Unit

Steve Martin is in anamporphic widescreen glory in David Mamet's "The Spanish Prisnor". good movie and very against type for Steve Martin which made even better.
    -- Matt

6. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Scott,
    You say you're a massive Steve Martin fan, but you haven't bought any of these dvds? [​IMG]
    Yes, they could be done better, but some of these at least, are good enough for a fan to buy now.
    In particular I'd recommend Planes, Trains & Automobiles and Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid. These may be bare-bones, but their bare-bones of great movies.
    My only real qualm is with Dead Men since it's missing a scene, but apparently I'm the only person who noticed, cause every time I post about it, I get zero response.
    ------------------
    13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

7. Scott Weinberg

8. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

I'm also a huge Steve Martin fan. He truly is one of the comic geniuses of our generation. When I saw "Director's Commentary" on the L.A. Story DVD, I jumped for joy. Sadly, it was a misprint. I've got most of his DVDs and, unfortunately, none are stellar (Bowfinger is probably the best). At least we have the films themselves, which is better than nothing.
    ------------------
    "Home is where the theater is!"

9. barry

barry Agent

Matt is right, "The Spanish Prisoner" is a great film. Martin really appears in a way that I have rarely seen him before.
    [Edited last by barry on September 22, 2001 at 10:15 PM]

10. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
  11. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

12. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

But, would you buy a DVD that might get better treatment down the road? Admittedly, I don't see many of Steve Martin's 80's catalogue getting reworked in the near future, so it would be hard to pass on whatever disc is available, granted it's OAR. But, if that possibility is there that a disc would get a SE treatment, with an anamorphic transfer, I would wait. There are plenty of rental outlets to hold you over. Being a fan doesn't mean you have to be subjected to a studio rushing a title out the door with little thought to its presentation.
    Bruce
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

13. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Second Unit

All I got to say is that Steve Martin is getting fouled. This is ridiculous. He is a national treasure as a comedian and he is getting less respect than Rodney Dangerfield! I want

All Of Me

Man with Two Brains

The Jerk

My Blue Heaven

Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid

L.A. Story

in Anamorphic OAR, with Commentaries from Steve Martin and all associated directors, any making-of films available, trailers, and proper due dammit!!!!!

14. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens

15. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

16. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    I'm hoping that Martin will record a commentary track for that new movie "Shopgirl" which he wrote and stars in.

17. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    I bought All of Me before I knew what widescreen was. I would really like to see a proper version of this fantastic comedy. Victoria Tennant ain't half bad, either [​IMG] ...

18. Craig Sherman

Craig Sherman Stunt Coordinator

Pass on Three Amigos until they re-do the transfer. At the point where they encounter the singing bush, (and possibly elsewhere in the film, it's been a while) the image has a persistent horizontal shake, making it impossible to watch without getting motion sickness.

Speaking of which, anyone know if those HBO releases will switch to keepcases like New Line did?

Oh, and add me to the list of people who want an SE of L.A. Story with John Lithgow's deleted scene (and his intro, as seen on Showtime).

Back on my meds,

CS

19. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

I would like to see:

All the Steve Martin TV specials:

THE FUNNIER SIDE OF EASTERN CANADA

A WILD AND CRAZY GUY

COMEDY IS NOT PRETTY

ALL COMMERCIALS

STEVE MARTIN'S BEST SPECIAL EVER

THE WINDS OF WHOOPEE (best-of compilation)

TWILIGHT THEATRE;

THE ABSENT MINDED WAITER short film, originally released on Vestron paired up with A HOMAGE TO STEVE Showtime concert special;

THE JERK in 1.85, with commentary by Steve and Carl Reiner, and in addition to the regular trailer, the hilarious "theatre owners only" teaser--I haven't seen that in years;

L.A. STORY with commentary by Steve and Mick Jackson, deleted scenes supplement, and all trailers (including John Lithgow's "skipping" suggestion);

PLANES TRAINS AND AUTOMOBILES with commentary by Steve and John Hughes, trailer, and TV-clean alternate take of Steve's rental car tirade;

LEAP OF FAITH with commentary by Steve and Richard Pearce, and Meat Loaf music videos;

20. Scott Weinberg

Hey, who resurrected this thread? [​IMG]
    Didn't we get The Jerk in Widescreen last year? [​IMG]