i want a small svs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by felix_suwarno, Nov 3, 2002.

1. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

...svs would make a tube sub with 8 inch driver for my pc setup.

i have been looking for a nice small setup in my home office room, and so far i couldnt find a decent 8 inch sub to be put under the desk. my current pc speaker is boston BA4800. since getting a ht setup in the living room, BA4800 sounds like crap...

2. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

How about using an Adire AV8, or a Titanic 10" sub with one of the 130-150 watt plate amps in a tiny 11" cubed box, or something similiar in size. That provide some decent bass and be alot cheaper.

3. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

felix_suwarno,
    I hadn't thought of it (OK, I didn't -- you did) until now, but that's a great idea! I just switched from the Boston Acoustics PV1000 for the home theater (I described the switch at robbroy.net) and a smaller SVS for my computer would be great! Of course, if it meant spreading SVS' resources too thin from developing such great products, I could live with my current computer sub (the sub on my home theater is much more important to me).
    -Robb

4. felix_suwarno

holy...

robb, that is my dream system. ahhh!!!

i have vr-mc and a pair of vr-m50s. damn i want a pair of vr-m80 or 90 for the front with either a vtf3 or that 20-39PC+ !

you made me jealous as hell.

if you dont mind, please let me know how much you paid for the vr-m90 or 80?

5. Steve Simm

Steve Simm Stunt Coordinator

Robb a couple of questions if you don't mind. I have VR-M60's, VR-MC, and VR-MX's with a SVS 20-39PC and find it very pleasing. Do you think the VR-M90's are a significant improvement over the 60's when paired with the SVS or could the $ be better put elsewhere? Also what are your impressions of the 60's in the back as opposed to going with a second set of the MX's? I am considering going to a 6.1(7.1) system at some point and just wanted the opinion of someone who has lived with the speakers I own and plan on keeping. Thanks for any comments you may have.

6. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

felix_suwarno,

I sent you a PM.

Steve,

I think if you are using them primarily for movies, the money can be spent elsewhere. If two-channel performance is critical to you, then it's money well spent (especially if you can get a good deal).

I love having those m60s in the rear, especially for DVD Audio (not that I have much of that, but it is fantastic using the m60s instead of the mxs).

-Robb

7. Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles Second Unit

Felix I have a Klipsch setup for my pc and I am very happy with it. They sound real nice. I ussed to think the bass was good until I got my twin SVS cs+. If I could put those boys on my computer.............. Kind of makes me want to get one of the Creative Extigy or whatever it is called?

8. felix_suwarno

i was going to get a klipsch promedia 5.1, but it turned out i didnt like the horns.

but well, i dont like pc speakers anymore.

the quest for a good small subwoofer for my pc is far from over...

9. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

10. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Brian,

Sorry don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but finally someone I know with quailty bass experience has heard the DLS 10".

I have a number of friends with EXTREMLY tight budgets looking to get into the 5.1 thing. None of which have spent anytime with quailty sound if you know what I mean. I have never heard this sub and aways have been curious of it's capabilitys!

So on to it, what was your feeling of this little 99.00 dollar Dayton slot loaded box???

Extension up and down, spl and sound quailty in the room your heard it on. The aprox size of the room and placement if you remember?

If stacked with 2 of them, could this provied enough low 30hz or maybe lower,,? spl for Joe averages HT, and do music some what justice? Or might the Sony-40 and modded (deadener and fill) be a better approach?
    (All these systems would be very low dollar stuff belive me)!!!

So where talking 99.00 smakers here so I don't expect allot, but Dayton builds it I belive, so who knows!

Brian, anything you can provide from your DLS 10" demo memorie would be very much apreciated..!

Thanx
    Geoff

11. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Geoff,

We didn't do any formal testing so I really can't speak as to what type of extension it has or what SPL levels it can produce. But I'd think somewhere in the lower 30's/upper 20's should be about right and it should be able to get loud enough for the average Joe. After all, I've built something similar with the little Dayton 8" that was tuned right to 30Hz that sounded extremely good.

I'm guessing that the room was roughly 15x20, maybe 15x25. This was at the DIY Atlanta event. It was running with a pair of small fullrange speakers and everyone was extremely impressed with the setup. I'm seriously considering buying the subs and selling them in a package with my own little "BoseBuster" speakers as well as my smallest 2-ways that we're selling. After all, even with dealer pricing from PE, the price of the sub is cheaper than what I could buy the individual components for.

Personally, for the money I'd just as soon have the Dayton as the Sony. At least I know a little more about the components (and their quality) in the Dayton than the Sony. Plus I imagine using the slot loaded port gives a lot more port area so there's less likelihood of port noise.

12. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Thanks Brian,

Better than I thought from your take!
    The room is much larger than I had imaged it would be in, and goes lower
    (hz) than my first thoughts would have been for this size 10s cabinit.

Got your mail and replied....

Thanks for your information and unmeasured take.
    I think that might be a good move on the Bose Buster set up..

Regards
    Geoff

13. felix_suwarno

brian bunge, thanks for the link, i will keep it in mind.