I want a new sub; not sure what type. ???

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Russell R, Dec 26, 2003.

1. Russell R

Russell R Stunt Coordinator

Hello,
    I am pondering the idea of a new sub. Something along the lines of the Maelstrom or multiple Titanic MKIII 12's/15's. Is there an advantage to the Maelstrom over the multiple drivers? This is for HT use so the deep extension is desired, but the appeal of a sealed sub sounds good also. Why is this hobby so addicting? After running numbers through WINIsd, the titanic multiple 12's seem to be a winner. What scares me away from this arrangement is the very high Group Delay @ 20hz. There seems to be a night and day contrast between the two. What are your thoughts?

My goal is to only have one enclosure below my screen, which can double duty as a center channel stand. As of now, I am only using one Shiva EBS in a back corning and it will require a second in the opposite corner to smooth out the room. The room is small 12x13 and I believe that a centered sub in front may help matters.

Thanks,
    Russ

2. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

Personally I would go for the Maelstrom for low extension because your SHiva has the rest covered. If the second sub goes into an opposite corner, I have found it is not much different from both in the same corner. Maybe try an adjacent corner if you get a second sub.

3. Russell R

I plan on moving my Shiva to a second listening room. The problem that I see with the current setup is that the sub is localized due to the small room and sitting so close to the speaker. During movies and music, the low frequencies appear to be omni-directional, but you can feel the increased pressure from the direction of the sub. What I thought that I could do was to create another sub to replace the Shiva and place this in front/center to help out with the dispersion of the LFE in the room. Don't get me wrong when I say replace the Shiva EBS, it is an outstanding setup. Two would be ideal, but I do not have anymore 14" sewer tube at this moment and will still need a sub in the living room.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,
    Russ

4. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Good bass is all about displacement and the Maelstrom offers a ton of displacement at a reasonable price. It's low "Q" allows a pretty small sealed box and the efficiency is pretty attractive as well....

5. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

What type of power do you intend to use? You might want to also consider the offerings at Stryke or Audio Liquidators and consider using a LT and go smaller for the box design if you have the power for it.

6. Russell R

What is an LT sub?

Thanks,
    Russ

7. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

LT or Linkwitz Transformer circuit applies thru the use of eq'ing/power (namely the lower frequencies) allows a compensation to a subwoofer's inherent designs problems encountered due to the sub rolling off before the user wishes. The only negative is amp headroom, driver position in relation to it's throw (it will move out further to produce the lower frequency than it would normally in a larger or more properly designed cabinet), and cost (usually a combo of better driver and amp will be used to equal the output of low freq of a more modest setup but it will come out in a smaller package). Here are three good links to look at that will explain it in much greater detail:

http://sound.westhost.com/linkwitz-transform.htm

http://www.trueaudio.com/st_lkxfm.htm

http://www.linkwitzlab.com

8. Russell R

What about a dual Tempest design. I have searched, but have not had any luck with results. Do you have any guidelines for duals? After looking at the Maelstrom Alignments from Adire, it appears that the roll off is around 60hz. Is this a bad thing for LFE?

Thanks,
    Russ

9. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

The Maelstrom shouldn't roll off until at least 20 Hz. Have you considered the Tempest in a EBS alignment. It is very efficient down low. Try it in LSPcad.

10. Russell R

The roll off was at the upper range of the spectrum. Yes, it does go to 20hz. I had thought of the EBS, but not sure. What I want to do is replace my Shiva EBS with something more. Will the Tempest EBS be a noticable step up?