I want a new look on my sub...

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by al lout, Jul 23, 2004.

1. al lout

al lout Stunt Coordinator

I'm thinking of veneering my sub. Currently, it has a truckbed liner finish on it. I have a few questions be4 I sand out my truckbed liner.

1. How hard is to apply veneer on the cabinet? I am totally new at this.
    2. With 4 legs on the bottom side of the sub, how am I to apply veneer on that side?
    3. Is Lowe or HD carry any good looking veneer? (Any other places should I look into?) And how much will it cost for a 4' x 8' sheet.
    4. My budget is $50, is it possible to do this?

BTW, I have a sealed Tempest 22" cube in size. Thanks in advanced.

Al,

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

I doubt that you can veneer over that polyurethane truckbed liner. Virtually nothing will stick to it. And I imagine trying to remove it will be a REAL pain, if not impossible.

As inexpensive as MDF is, and as difficult as removing the bedliner will be, I suggest just making a new box.

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Pretty sure he's going to sand off the bed liner first... If you plan on staining and don't use an exotic veneer i'd say you can do it under $50, just make sure you've got 100% of the bedliner off of the box firs so there are no inperfections in the finish.

4. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

Ditto, youd be foolish to even trying to sand off that truck bed liner.

5. al lout

al lout Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys... look like I will keep the sealed cabinet as is. I'll probably build a vented cabinet after my vacation. I'm thinking of rosewood veneer as a finish... I'll take some pics then... Thanks all...

Al,