What's new

I want a glass box for my PJ, anyone know where to turn? (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I want to have a glass or plexi (must be 100% clear) box built to house my PJ (fan noise is driving me nuts).

I have designed a system to vent heat into the ceiling- I just need to find someone who could build a 5 sided glass box approximately 14x20x4 inches.

Where would I look to have something like this made? Could it be DIY'd?

-vince

What about an acrylic fish tank? These are readily available and with the right tools it is easy to cut holes in them.

Or you could get a bending bar made for acrylic. These are for people who want to make their own tank for custom Aquarium installs.The advantage to the bending bar is one piece does 3 sides. However, a store bought one might be easier since it is a bit on an art to bend the stuff correctly.

The drawback here is you will probably need a 5 Gal tank and a premade one is going to be at least 10 gal or more.

Acrylic can also be bonded in squares. It just doesn't look as nice. If you can find some, this may be a way to go.

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
Just make sure you use a pair of 120mm fans blowing out, and enough opening for cooler air to come in. Dust may be a consideration. However, you must be sure that any filtration system you use is not too restrictive. If you need the fans to be quiet, then go to heep://www.silentpcreview.com and visit their excellent Forums. People there know a lot about what kinds of fans are quiet, even though they deal mainly with those used in computers.

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
I don't know if it would. But couldn't doing this affect you PQ? I would think that some light would get reflected off the plexi in front of the unit.
Just something to think about if you haven't yet.

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
Undoubtedly, specs of dust would collect on the plexiglass in front of the lens, and harm picture quality.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

No more than dust on the projector lense which collects as it is- the box will be removable so it can be cleaned... I figure I'll filter the air coming into the case- but it wont be any less/more perfect that my pj situation is now (with 80db fan noise!)

-Vince

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Plexi would be fine for most of the case but I'd want the light to shine through optical-grade glass so I didn't get reflections and distortions.
Reflections will be lower with plastic than with glass (generally) since plastic has a lower refractive index. (Ok, the Edmund link is for AR coated optics.)

As for optical quality: the glass at the Edmund site is float glass, which is nothing special. This is likely window glass. The optical quality is likely better than generic plastic sheeting, but I doubt you'd see any induced visual distortion when used with a projector. I'd be interested in seeing pictures of displays where the plastic sheet noticably degraded the image.

ChristopherD

Stunt Coordinator
1/4" plexi with mitered joints joined with aquarium adhesive would be cake. It scratches really easily, though.

MarkDesMarais

Stunt Coordinator
For that matter, building a glass aquarium type box is very well understood- take a look at an aquarium site (or BOOK ;-).

Basically, you get a glass shop to cut the glass to your specs, tape the panels in position, run a bead of silicone down the joints, and wait a bit. Peel off the tape, and you're done. Plan on supporting the resulting box from the bottom.

Markd

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks