What's new

I want 6.1 sound! Lol not stereo (1 Viewer)

VictorS

Grip
Hi.. i have a receiver Onkyo with optical.. input, coax and rca.. you know the usual stuff...

I want to plug my computer wich has a souncard Audigy 2 ZX its has optical out put and spdif etc.. i just bought a optical wire.. i tried it and i only get stereo sound.. my front 2 speaker.. rca.. aint better does the same.. what can i do..

RyanHud

Stunt Coordinator
Hey there, do you have all the settings with the Audigy software on your comoputer to put out surround?
Make sure you have all the latest drivers/software.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Edited:
never mind! I don't know shit about sound cards so I decided I should just shut up.
But...I'm assuming the CD you are playing is recorded in multichannel or you are using some synthesized multichannel mode like Dolby ProLogic II?

Tom Camlioglu

Stunt Coordinator
Victor,

What sound are you trying to get? Sound for the games in 7.1 or movies?

If games, use the 3 mini-plug analog connections from the sound card and use the 7.1(5.1?) analog input on your receiver.

You will need 3 vidcam cables (3 RCA connections to a mini-plug)to plug into the 3 inputs on the sound card. Go to Radio Shack and ask for cam-corder cables.

For movies, you can connect the optical from the card to an optical on the receiver. Don't forget to choose the correct input for the source (I have mine set to DVD on my Integra receiver).

Remember that for 7.1 in games you can only use the multi-channel input - unless the game is in Dolby Digital. I use the analog for music listening as well although I do occasionally switch to digital for PLII on occasion. For movies you can use the digital signal through optical.

../TC

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Oh....games and movies....shoulda known :rolleyes:
I'm a music guy myself....must have forgot that I was on a home theater forum. I don't come here that often anymore.

Jon W.

Stunt Coordinator
I ordered one of these last night. In theory you should be able to hook this to the SPDIF output on the sound card and then use a coax cable to go to the receiver. Do I know if it will work? NO, but its worth a try I guess. I'll let you know how it turns out unless someone corrects me and tells me it wont work.:crazy:

Tom Camlioglu

Stunt Coordinator
Let me know how you make out ... I only tried through the tos-link ... considering the sPDIF and tos-link carry digital signal

MikeGee

Second Unit
Yeah jon i'd like to hear some results on how that little jack works.. That'd be pretty awesome if it works out..

VictorS

Grip
i just cant get the suround 5.1 out of my sound card.. i tryed evrything.. i mean one optical wire should be enought.. my receiver only detect stero i bought a coax.. and my receiver only detect stereo.. i checked with my dvd.. and my receiver goes in 5.1 but not from my sound card.. i went in the options.. checked evrything im out of idea.. next step i formate my computer!
But it is true i forgot to uninstal the old driver of my previous sound card.. :frowning:

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
The single optical cable would only work for DVD movies with a 5.1 soundtrack.

Other than that (games, music etc) will only be in stereo as the sound card does not do any surround-sound processing. In that case you will need three of those 1/8" stereojack-to-RCA cables to hook into your receiver's 6ch input

Jon W.

Stunt Coordinator
If you are using windows media player to play a DVD you have to go under TOOLS and hit OPTIONS, then click the DVD tab, then click ADVANCED and selct ENABLE S/PDIF OUTPUT. Mine would not work until I did this no matter how the soundcard was set and even after selecting this you may have to close and reopen WMP to get it to work. This is using the coaxial out on my M-audio revolution card and I do get Dolby Digital and DTS from DVDs. I haven't got the parts I ordered yet to try my Audigy card using the spdif out. Hope that helps.

Chris Bates

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

On my Onkyo receiver you have to assign the digital connection to the desired input. Meaning if you wanted your sound card to be on the CD portion of the receiver you would have to turn it to CD and keep hitting the "Digital Input" button on the receiver until you get to the optical port that the sound card is plugges into. My receiver is set from the factory for the DVD to be set to the Digital Coax, this is probably why your DVD is getting 5.1. Give it a shot and see if it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks