I wanna HTPC.....help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Getson, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Dave Getson

Dave Getson Stunt Coordinator

In the next few months, I hope to be picking up a Piano 3200 from my local dealer. After checking out AVSForum, it seems the image quality is much better with HTPC than with a progressive scan stand-alone DVD player....soooo, I'm going to use my exisiting PC and just transform that into a HTPC, I hope.

I have a T-Bird 950 processor
    Will have 512MB PC-133 RAM today
    Radeon 8500 - although, for some reason it runs slower than my friend's first generation Radeon. I can't even play GTA3, it's so choppy (lowest resolution)...but that's a whole new can of worms.

What DVD player for my PC would you guys recommend?
    What else could improve my soon-to-be HTPC?

2. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    I'm sure people will suggest TheaterTek as your DVD player. I haven't actually tried it yet since setting up my HTPC is kind of a low priority at the moment. I'm currently using PowerDVD.

Both have good features, but neither one has all the features I'd like. I'd like one or the other to get all the features together (I'm guessing that TheaterTek will do it first).

Mike

3. Dave Getson

Dave Getson Stunt Coordinator

For software, I have PowerDVD now.

What about hardware?

4. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

Sigma Designs' REALmagic Xcard may bear some investigation.
    Some key features:
    • Enjoy DVD-Video, DivX™ video, and Superbit™ DVD movies using your current television and surround sound system.
    • Also plays Super VideoCD (SVCD), VideoCD (VCD) and MPEG-4, MPEG-2 and MPEG-1 files.
    • Provides advanced video features such as scaling up to HDTV resolution, progressive DVD playback and component YPbPr analog video outputs. SCART RGB video output is also available as an option.
    • Provides advanced audio output features such as Dolby® Digital or DTS® surround sound (through S/PDIF) for high fidelity sound reproduction.
    • Includes our new Xmedia player software and remote control to provide familiar VCR-like controls to your DVD, DivX™ video, SVCD and VCD movies.
    • Compatible with Microsoft® Windows® 98SE, Me, 2000 and XP.
    I don't have any practical experience with this particular product although their older Hollywood Plus, which I'm still reasonably happy with, had a pretty good track record.