i ve got some ambition now need a sub

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Nathan Porteous, Feb 28, 2004.

1. Nathan Porteous

Nathan Porteous Stunt Coordinator

Alright guys i've never done a diy project before but now i will in about 2 weeks have 1000 cdn to blow on a new sub. after reading this i think i'm gona try a diy i've got a 20 by 20 room cement floor 7 foot ceilings. i want the best, lowest and loudest i can get for my money it need to be internally powered would love your advice!

2. Mark gas

Mark gas Second Unit

3. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

I bought the Tempest,ports and now discontinued AVA250 from CSS above. Then I built the EBS alignment on Adires website. I also added a $229 CDN behringer feedback destroyer as a parametric EQ to tame a nasty room hump. In total it cost about $1000 CDN and worth every penny.

4. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

With the two Tempests, though, you may need to run them each off of a channel of a pro amp, becasue two wired in parallel will give you 2 ohms impedance. Get one, and then build a second if you want to. Build in plenty of power.

5. Jonny K

Jonny K Second Unit

Yeah, get one Tempest and a good amp to drive it (I'm using Adire's AVA250). Since this is your first project, stick with just one driver and amp (since Adire has plans avaliable for you to use, it will be easier). After you've bought all the things you need (including board), the price will be around 700/800 Canadian. (at least, that was my experience when I built mine). What should you spend the extra money on? Well, you don't really need a bigger amplifier (I never turn mine up more than just over half-way, and that's with insane bass). I suppose you could spend the extra money for a behringer feedback destroyer or something. This will allow you to equalize the bass to a flat level, as you will find the sub has peaks and dips at different frequencies in your room. I've never used one of these, but it sounds like a good idea. The other place you could spend your money would be on higher quality construction materials. What I mean by that is: I made my sub mostly out of MDF board. This stuff is EXTREMELY heavy. The completed sub must weigh 100 pounds or more. Half-way through the contruction, I found some spare plywood and used it for the internal bracing. This was WAY lighter, and just as strong. If you have extra cash, you may want to build the sub out of good plywood, which is much lighter.

http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=AVA250
    http://www.adireaudio.com/diy_audio/...re/tempest.htm

(check out the reference designs, I built the "Adire Alignment" myself).

6. Mark gas

Mark gas Second Unit

7. Bob K

Bob K Stunt Coordinator

Nathan,

If you, like me, are new to this, I heartily second (or third, or fourth . . .) the idea of using a single Tempest in one of the designs straight off the Adire site. It takes all the guesswork out of the process. You'll wind up with a great sub.

Good luck!

Tempest Construction Pix: http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/m...view_album.php