What's new

I Truly Don't Care How Many Songs You Have On Your Ipod (1 Viewer)

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda

When I listen to MP3s (or, rarely, podcasts )at home, I just play them on the computer (Klipsch speakers and subwoofer...great sound) or the HT system. Sometimes even with headphones. :)

My work doesn't lend itself to listening to music, at all. It's a hospital laboratory, and we even have to complain about the piped-in muzak, because it interferes with sounds that we NEED to hear...clocks, buzzers, timers, instrument warnings, etc. Not to mention the constant telephone communications. That's probably another big part of my personal "need" to be aurally connected to my surroundings, since I have to depend upon it so much in my job.

MP3 players are great for those who have a use for them. I'm just not one of those people.

:)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I do the 2 hour daily commute (via car) and with the iPod hookup in my glove box, I have access to ALL of my songs. I don't have to worry about changing CD's - even MP3 discs which would have to be changed in and out to get even close to the number of songs on my iPod.

And considering how much my moods change, I'm never stuck in that situation (like I was with my CD's) where I'd be driving to work and think "DAMN!! I wish I had my (insert artist here) CD with me!!!! :angry:"

CD's:
Quality = 10, convenience = 3
Overall = :thumbsdown:

iPod:
Quality may = 7, but convenience = 10+
Overall = :emoji_thumbsup:

Also, I can not tell you HOW many times I've been in a situation where someone has mentioned a random/bizarre tune and I've been able to whip out my iPod and play it. I'm usually the hit of the party (or work, or wherever)! :D

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I used to have a CD based mp3 player. As someone who enjoys scouring music shops this was the most useful to me. But I recently picked up an ipod nano so I could listen to the occasional new track I downloaded or whatever without having to burn a whole new cd.

As far as the OP comment - I heard the following exchange coming from the seats behind me on a recent flight:

Woman: How many songs do you have on that thing?
Young Woman: A LOT! (giggle)
Woman: (very curtly) I asked HOW MANY songs you had on it.

This is the same woman whom I earlier overheard asking somone what time it was. He said "About quarter to" and she replied in a similar manner "Is it quarter to or not?"

-paul

GordonL

Supporting Actor
As the others have said, bitrate matters. However, if you have golden ears, you might be interested in the iAudio X5. It can handle Ogg Vorbis (open source lossy compression) and FLAC (open source lossless compression). Ogg Vorbis' claim to fame is better compression than MP3 at similar bitrates. Or put another way, at similar compression ratios, offers higher bitrates. And FLAC, being lossless, is CD quality.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I have a nice Sony Discman and my portable album of CD's that I simply carry, not exactly "lugging" which implies large and cumbersome which my album isn't because I can carry it like a book, to work with me or where ever i'm going.

As for the quality of iPod's vs CD's, i'll take quality over quantity any day of the week. :emoji_thumbsup:

My girlfreind and I were talking a couple of weeks ago about how things have changed since we were teens and she made a comment about how it will only be a matter of time when we hear kids say "Yeah, I remember when my iPod could ONLY hold 1,000 songs, we were just living in the dark ages back then!"

I responded with "I swear to you, if I ever hear a kid say anything even remotely like that, no matter where I am or what i'm doing I will stop whatever i'm doing and tell that kid to shut the f**k up."

:D

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

I hate to tell you this, but more likely they will say "Yeah, I remember when my iPod could only play back 2D video! I don't know how we got along without 3D holographic projection! Boy ... Were we living in the Dark Ages back then, or what??" :D

mylan

Screenwriter
I don't think I KNOW 1,000 songs that I would put on an Ipod. BTW, I don't own one and don't intend too.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
It's funny how everyone talks about quality here and how odd it is that I would carry around and iPod...

Did you guys ever grow up with cassettes??? Up until fairly recently, I would make 'mixed tapes' where I'd put my best songs (from cassette) to a blank cassette.

The quality never bothered me as did it not bother a LOT of people. We all did it! So why, all of a sudden, is it 'bad' or 'wrong' to listen to lower quality audio (as compared to CD's) in the car??

Sure, CD's sound better, but hell, I've grown up with stuff that was MUCH worse quality than my iPod. LOL - I have a 40GB iPod and I've actually had to take FULL CD's off to make room for new ones. Hell, my list of iTunes single purchases is reaching close to over 200+. :b

But that's me and my lifestyle. I am a song NUT and I get bored with listening to the same stuff over and over again.

mylan

Screenwriter
My position might change once I had one but for me the act of having to download to listen is worse than going to my collection and trying to figure out what to put in the changer. My collection is mid 80's and 90's and i've heard it, done it, and tired of it, similar to my wife claiming she "has nothing to wear" dispite a closet full of clothes. This is why I got XM a couple weeks ago and so far it has either been the best thing or the worst thing i've done depending on who's programmimg at the time.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I think the song count vs. iPod size has to do with the fact that anyone can just buy a big iPod, but not many can fill it.

Kind of like a sports car. Most anyone can buy it (as long as you have the money), but not everyone can really DRIVE it! :D

I mean, on a purely 'vain/bragging' level, it would seem that a 40GB iPod with 10,000 songs on it is more impressive than a 60GB iPod with only 1,000 songs on it. That's why people don't brag about storage size. Storage size is a dime a dozen...but filling that storage space....well, that's the impressive part. ;)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Hey! Why do people use cell phones??? The quality is HORRIBLE! If I need to call someone, I find a LAN line phone and call them. The quality is FAR superior! I don't know WHY people would ever want to use (and PAY for) something that sounds that bad!

;)

this message brought to you by Marks' bitterness

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Not sure why. Most of us (technically minded) woud demand more accuracy, but I don't know why average joe would needs to know more than the approximate amount of songs the device will hold.

--
H

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Maybe it's because of the way MP3 players are marketed. They always boast how many songs can fit onto the player. The size seems to be irrelevant over the amount. I guess (in mareting terms) 10,000 songs is a better way to sell a product over 50GB????

Jon Bell

Stunt Coordinator
Since you asked, I have 11,000 songs on my 60 gig ipod. And I have the optional curly-fry attachment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks