I took too long to change the batteries in my remote

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Judy Y, Feb 24, 2002.

1. Judy Y

Judy Y Stunt Coordinator

Is there a good way to clean out, uh, corrosion??? from a battery compartment on a remote control. (I believe the battery leaked into the compartment.) I have tried to remove it with a dry q-tip. Is there anything wet that is okay to use??

Help!

2. Alan Curry

Alan Curry Agent

Normally I would use a small wire brush and scrape it off or you could try baking soda with water and apply with the q-tip. If your in a pinch, use Coca Cola instead of the baking soda with water.

Alan

3. Judy Y

Judy Y Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the help, Alan!

4. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

This may sound like overkill, but if you go the wire brush route, be sure to wear eye protection. It's very, very easy to flick a little piece of that acidic corrosion into your eye. It probably wouldn't be enough to do any permanent damage, but it'll hurt like hell.

What brand of batteries leaked? I can testify from personal experience that major battery manufacturers stand behind their lifetime damage warranties. I had a set of Energizers leak inside one of those expensive Maglight cop flashlights, and Energizer paid full retail to replace the flashlight.