What's new

I took the plunge... (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I bought an X-Box today with Halo and the HD pack. I wanted to get Syberia, but they didn't have a copy in stock. Oh well, I'll get it soon enough.

I like it so far. The controller is still annoying, I haven't really played it much, and it doesn't seem to fit into the living room anywhere that would allow it to be removed quickly so I could use it in the Scootplex.

BTW, I WILL be playing it in the Scootplex soon :D

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
morgan - pardon my ignorance, what's the Scootplex?

Also, be sure to pick up KOTOR as well. If you buy KOTOR, Halo, and Syberia for Xbox and don't like any of them -- sell your xbox with a clean conscience. Between Halo and KOTOR there's either something for everyone, or you're hopeless ;) Happy gaming!

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
'Grats, Morgan. Enjoy your new purchase! Have you tried an S-controller yet? I was a big defender of the "Duke" controller when it first came out, but once I went with the "S" I couldn't go back.

Joe, the Scootplex is the legendary home theater that Morgan's father (HTF name: Scooter) put together. Many HTF'ers are familiar with the Scootplex because Scooter hosts a big HTF gathering called Scooterpalooza every summer. More info on that here. It's something that I always want to go to, and yet every year I seem to have a scheduling conflict (this year I'll be in Toronto, sigh).

Anyway, have fun, Morgan. Playing Halo in the Scootplex must be quite, um, intense... :eek:

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Now go buy Panzer Dragoon Orta and you'll be on the level;)

Congrats on the purchase Morgan.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
the adaptor is not that great. You really have to mash the buttons down on the ps2 pads to get it to register. I had one of these for the specific purpose of Tony Hawk way back before the S came out. The controller adaptors are really not that great in my opinion.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
My 'box is a refurb, so the controller is the original model, not an S. I planned on getting an S controller eventually, a memory card (to transfer saves or character, but this will come much later), and I still want to get Syberia, Panzer Dragoon Orta, KOTOR, and possibly another game or two.

And I plan on keeping this thing forever. Either it will work out for the better in the long run, or it will be a constant reminder of a huge disappointment.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Morgan,

I wish you the best, and hope things work out for you.

However, there are different kinds of gamers, and not all consoles are for all people. Based on your tastes, you just don't seem like an 'XBox guy'.

I hope you find enough XBox games that suit your tastes.

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
Hey guys, I also took the plunge and got my Xbox on Monday (also a refurb w/ JSRF and Sega GT). It came with the Controller S and I've since bought a second. I want Halo really bad but I'm looking for a cheaper copy than the $65 + tax it still sells for new (Canadian dollars BTW).

So far I'm really enjoying it (hooked up via component cables to my 47" Panny and optical for 5.1). Rented MechAssault which sounded amazing and picked up a used Splinter Cell.

I've had a PS2 since launch day and thought it was all I'd ever own. The refurb with the games for $199 CDN was too good to pass up though.

Anyone have a copy of Halo they'd part with? :D

Sean Eldridge

Second Unit
I believe EBgames has used copies for $35. And they seem to have 20% off used games coupons on their site regularly.

Sean

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
Target will mark Halo down to $27.88 every couple of months for a weekend. Keep an eye on Glen Haag's videogame wrap-up thread.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I can appreciate the anxiety towards the original controller. I never had a problem with it since my hands are pretty big (my fingers are long a narrow). But it's certainly a change to hold one after becoming used to the S-controller. So I can imagine the transition coming from the relatively tiny PS2.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I don't like the fact that I keep getting confused about the ABXY buttons because of how close and similar they are, but I'm getting used to it.

So far, I have come to the conclusion that every aspect of the hardware is what I consider acceptable, in that I don't have anything wrong with it.

I got a refurb of an original unit, not the one that already had an S-controller, so I have the original controller. I can tell because it matches the one in Halo's controller setup mode (which is based on the original one). Plus, I've used an S before.

I'm not on XBL yet, but if I do get on (probably will eventually, I have the steady cashflow now) then I'll give out my Gamertag.

John Kilroy

Stunt Coordinator
I guess there won't be too many surprises for you in Halo. You probably feel like you're playing it for the second time due to your interaction with all the Halo fans at HTF!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks