What's new

I took the plunge and bought the Tosh. SD-4700! (1 Viewer)

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Well, I finally upgraded my DVD player from a Pioneer DV-525. The picture quality of the Tosh is amazing -- the image seems tighter and more film-like than on the DV-525. I know this isn't because of progressive scan as my TV isn't capable of it (it's the Sony WEGA KV-32FV27). From the DVDs I've played I have noticed considerable differences in black area detail. It even improves the quality of 1.33:1 made-for-TV material (such as the Buffy The Vampire Slayer season 2 box set, which was previously unwatchable in daylight conditions). From what I've seen so far, this seems to be a great quality player. I'll write a full review of it within the coming week. :emoji_thumbsup: :D

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
I know - isn't it good stuff?? :D I've been amazed at the solidity and the features of this unit - also at the little classy beep. Everything about it is cool!

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
I too have been enjoying mine since December.

Does anybody know why Best Buy's ad this week has it marked "Clearance"? Is it going out of production already?

C

Dave_Olds

Stunt Coordinator
Does this unit have the "Chroma Bug"? I was under the impression it did....

nevermind - I found confirmation it does have the Chroma Bug. Great price on a good player though.....

Dave_Olds

Stunt Coordinator
The Chroma Bug? No, at least it shouldnt. It was the MPEG decoder that caused the problem. All Manufacturers are aware of the problem and should no longer be using the decoder that caused the problem.....

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I have been very happy with this player as well, although I disabled the beep function. The lone beep when it is turned on isn't bad, but a beep with every remote button-push got annoying.

PaulKH

Second Unit
I love my 4700 for the price. The zoom and 4:3 pillaring are great, and the chroma bug isn't as noticable as my older 2109.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Dave said:

The Chroma Bug? No, at least it shouldnt. It was the MPEG decoder that caused the problem. All Manufacturers are aware of the problem and should no longer be using the decoder that caused the problem.....
The new $1200 Denon DVD-3800 DVD-Audio player shows the chroma bug. Even the new $3500 Denon DVD-9000 is said to show the chroma bug, though it is supposedly minor.

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
You'd hope so, but...

Tons of players have come out with the bug since it was originally 'discovered'. The first time I remember hearing about it and noticing it was ~3 years ago on my Dish Network receiver. It was really bad on that thing!

I'm sure we'll see it go away in most decent players pretty soon though.

Still, I imagine plenty of players will use older and modified Genesis chips which still seem to have somewhat of a problem (on the RP91, for instance.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks