What's new

I too have a dead RP-82 (1 Viewer)

Sujeet Patel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sujeet
I was reading about RP-82 failures over at AVSForum, though I figured they were isolated incidents (even though one guy had 2 bad ones in a row!). Got mine in the mail yesterday, and after I hooked it up, before I started the setup, I decided to try the open/close tray mechanism, since that seemed to be the big failure point with everyone. I cringed, as mine got jammed trying to close. Waiting for OneCall to open, so I can get an RMA and get it sent back, but from what I hear, they're now on backorder (again). At this rate, it'll be September before I get one now. Even took the night off of work to get it setup and calibrated. :frowning:
Anyone else on here get one DOA? I'm not having good luck, I had a Denon 3802 that had a dead remote, a Toshiba 55H70 that had a problem with one of it's circuit boards, and now this. This is why I wanted to buy the RP82 locally, but of course, no one carries them. :angry:

Andrew P

Second Unit
My RP-82 worked perfectly and my XP-30 works perfectly as well.

I think its normal to have a certain amount of pieces defective. The tray mechanism is probably easily fixable as well. At least you are not experiencing random freezes like some Philips players.

Also, I just tried out the Denon 900 DVD player and this player picture-wise does not compare to the RP-82/XP-30.
Andy

Gregg Z

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder if OneCall got a bad batch? I am one of the people that posted over on AVS that I got a bum unit with a bad tray mechanism.

My unit had a June 2002 mfg date. Anyone out there with working or non-working units want to post their mfg dates to see if we can find a pattern?

Eric Sevigny

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe "bad batches" is the reason I have yet to see one RP-82 anywhere (be it in stores or online at canadian retailers). Late august/early september is when I'll probably receive my unit *sigh

Pamela

Supporting Actor
June 2002. Got it from OneCall. I've had it for a couple of weeks and so far, it's working great.

Thik Nongyow

Stunt Coordinator
I received my RP82 at OneCall this Monday. It was manufactured on June 2002 and is working well without any problems.

BobJ

Stunt Coordinator
Received mine from Crutchfield in their first shipment.No problems whatsoever.

BobJ

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe "bad batches" is the reason I have yet to see one RP-82 anywhere (be it in stores or online at canadian retailers)
A lot of brick and mortar stores will not be stocking the 82, including BestBuy and Circuit City. It is even a "special order" item at some of my local indie stores.

Gregg Z

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, lets try a different tact. We all seem to have units from the June 2002 batch.

For those of you who received a RP82 with problems, were there any signs of damage to the box (not the box OneCall put it in, but the actual Panasonic box)? Mine had the front left corner smooshed in. Apparently it was dropped with enough force to crack the internal Styrofoam insert on the left side. When I plugged the unit in, the drawer opened with kind of a left-word slant and then stuck. Perhaps OneCall did not receive a bad batch, but a batch that my have been poorly handled by the shipper.

MikeM

Screenwriter
Mine arrived from Crutchfield, and works great. No problems at all.
(Crossing my fingers that I didn't jinx it...) :D

Brian D Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Bought mine locally at SoundTrack in Denver, June 2002 batch, with no problems. I did notice the box having a gash in it, but nothing that destroyed anything on the inside.

Sujeet Patel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sujeet
My box was flawless, but still had the jammed tray.. So unless someone dropped the box w/o causing any noticable damage, I'm not sure about this theory.

Andrew P

Second Unit
Sujeet:
Just return the player. I really dont think this is a major issue nor a problem with the 82 line.

Andy

Sujeet Patel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sujeet
Already returned it on Tuesday - Unfortunately they're on backorder again, so it'll be a few weeks before I get a replacement. Keeping my fingers crossed that the next one is fine.

Andrew P

Second Unit
Crutchfield has them back in stock. They are a little more expensive, but its there and they have a great return policy if you decide you cant live with the RP-82.

Andy

Gregg Z

Stunt Coordinator
Got the email from OneCall today. My replacement RP82 shipped. This must mean that they have them back in stock too.

Sujeet Patel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sujeet
Yep, I got the e-mail as well, hoping that I'll have it in my hot little hands by Friday, so I can play with it over the weekend. God I hope this one works out!

Sujeet Patel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sujeet
Well, FedEx delivered it today.. I was sleeping when they came, so I ran down to the local office and picked it up a few minutes ago. Don't have much time to play with it tonight, but I did take it out of the box, pluged it in, and made sure the tray opens and closes correctly :)
It does, so I'm hoping that things will go smoothly going forward. Guess I'll post my impressions of the player after I have time to properly set it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks