1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

I told myself I'd never build another PC again...

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Patrick Sun, Nov 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Forgot it takes about 10 hours to do an initial diagnostic scan on an 8TB hard drive before I copy any data over to it. :D :D :D Kicked off the first 4TB of data migration around 4am this morning. Hopefully when I get back home, I can do that last 4TB of data migration and be fully functional by Saturday. Whew!

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Had to re-arrange stuff in my PC table area, but finally put the new PC in production last night. Let's hope my bit of overclocking doesn't lead to unstability heartbreak (I know I can just back it down to stock clocking if need be). Whew!

3. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Executive Producer

Dennis
    I don't build PCs from scratch anymore - it's cheaper to buy refurbished Dell boxes. These are powerful enough for the average non-gamer user.

But I don't mind getting into them to upgrade and fix issues. My present desktop is about 7 years old, and the fans were getting noisy. So I picked up a new chassis fan for $5 and a nearly new power supply for $30. I was able to swap out both without too much excitement. It's so nice to have a very quiet desktop again.

Then I tore apart the original power supply. The fan in it is still available new for $10 so I ordered one of them. When it comes in it'll go into the power supply so it will become a known good spare.

Mike Frezon and George_W_K like this.