What's new

I told myself I'd never build another PC again... (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Well, when you're right you're right. :) Still, even as my available time continues to diminish, I remain a DIY guy at heart. I get a great sense of satisfaction seeing something humming along and remembering what it took to make it do so.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Well, when you're right you're right. :) Still, even as my available time continues to diminish, I remain a DIY guy at heart. I get a great sense of satisfaction seeing something humming along and remembering what it took to make it do so.
If it’s a hobby, fun and satisfying, more power to you.

I enjoyed building my HTPC. I’ll do it again if I stay with the media computer thing when I go 4K. But for normal home computering, I’m an Apple user, so no build option there.

But if it’s not fun: I’m ever more a promoter of the concept that I can exchange money for goods and services, to minimize time on tasks I don’t enjoy and maximize time spent on tasks I do enjoy.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
But if it’s not fun: I’m ever more a promoter of the concept that I can exchange money for goods and services, to minimize time on tasks I don’t enjoy and maximize time spent on tasks I do enjoy.

Couldn't agree more. In my case, yard work has been the casualty.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Wow, that’s pricey. I pay $18 per cut, including edging, trimming and cleanup. I haven’t owned a lawnmower in over 25 years! :D
It's relative. I pay $60.00 but it totally depends on the yard. Mine is huge so I understand why I have to pay a bit more than some of my neighbors.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Oh man...you are going to keep eyeing those parts sitting on your table...waiting for you...calling out to you.

Then, let the all-nighter begin! :D

pc-buildout-2016-guide.jpg

deal_with_frustration_01.png

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Looks like rain from now through the weekend, so I guess I know what my weekend project is gonna be...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Having taken my sweet time today putting this PC together, I'm fairly certain this will be my last PC I put together. My presbyopia just made it a pain to see things inside the case easily when making all the connections needed to put things in running order. Plus, I detest diddling with the CPU heatsink/fan assembly and messing with the thermal paste.

But that being said, this sucker posted on the first try (minor miracle, I'll take it!), and I got Windows 10 up and running on it fairly quickly. Now the painful process of data / programs migration commences from my previous PC to this one...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Oh....

You've gotten it built already! :D

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Finally got most of my software / settings installed on the new PC yesterday. Trying to install 6 years worth of software (mostly photo-processing-editing related) in one day was sometimes daunting as far as hunting down serial numbers, and finding the proper add-ons to get things running smoothly again, mainly the programs I edit from when launched through Lightroom. Some of the installations and pointers weren't quite the same on the 2nd go-around for the installation. But for the most part, I think I think I'm back up to being functional on the new PC. Just waiting for one more case fan, and, believe it or not, a PC case speaker, as they don't include the little bitty PC speaker in cases anymore, but I miss having the diagnostic beeps upon boot-up, and luckily I didn't need to troubleshoot anything when I first fired it up. So hopefully I'll post one final photo when I get those last parts in, and can slap on the side panels finally.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Waiting on one last part (an 8TB hard drive to consolidate two 4TB hard drives) to arrive today, and I think I'll finally be done with the overall construction of the new PC. Slapped in the PC speaker doo-dad, and another case fan, and a 4-port SATA PCIe card. They are all up and running fine, tossed in 2 data hard drives from the old PC (connected one of them to the new SATA PCIe card to make sure it work with the rest of the system.

Copying files from one m.2 NVMe SSD to the other m.2 NVMe SSD is ridiculously fast.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Sounds pretty painless (as such things go) so far... almost(!) makes me consider doing the same for my next main PC... though I'm hoping my current 5-yo, 4th(?) gen core i7 Dell XPS 8700 will last me another 5 years or so (after upgrading the RAM... and HDD to a couple TB SSDs... plus a basic, networked RAID drive for nearline archival storage)...:P

I've found enough of Dell's machines to be good enough compromises for value and expandability for me to not go back to the complete DIY route over the last couple decades... but then again, I haven't needed to upgrade the graphics hardware during most of that time so haven't done anything to push my Dell machines' upgradability.

Kudos! And enjoy your new build!

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks