What's new

I told Hollywood Video to shove it! (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I just returned home from Hollywood video and while I was there, I noticed that they had nothing but widsescreen copies of "Jurassic Park III" for rent!
Careful. I seem to recall some thread stating that the "WS" versions at Hollywood actually had P&S discs inside. Some claim that Universal sent "the right discs" but "the wrong inserts". :frowning:

Jerry AZ

Stunt Coordinator
If there were some person at HV or BB "corporate" that had some creative genius, they might see a way of actually bringing in MORE renters by creating a special "home theater center" rack of titles within their stores.
Wait a minuite, I think there is a great idea here.
If every store put up a section with WS titles and called it their Home Theater section, I bet a lot more people would rent the WS releases. After all, who wouldn't want to watch the movie in their own Home Theater? Just the wording implying that this section is only for those with Home Theaters would garantee that J6P would rent them. ;)

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
That's not a bad idea, however you are talking about a niche market here--a growing market to be sure--but it's probably not feasible for these corporate giants to pursue.
The best thing to do is to support your mom and pop rental stores. The good ones usually don't have to be coerced into carrying widescreen copies or some of the more obscure art house films.
I freqent a store that has a website - www.ricksvideo.com

Robyn Young

Stunt Coordinator
Supporting a mom and pop store is great if you have one. Every mom and pop store that tried to make it here had obscene prices for overnight rentals, and no selection at all. And when you asked if they had something specific, they looked at you funny.

The best way to influence chains at HW video is to call thier number. The number should be plastered around the store, by the registers. They don't listen to us employees really at all.

Lately, all the movies we've received(with the notable exceptions of Mummy Returns and Princess Diaries) have been widescreen. I'm hoping that will remain consistent.

robyn

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
The full-screen or pan & scanned The Mummy Returns has a black bar on the bottom with gold trim around it. The widescreen version has a gold bar on the bottom.

Plus you should be able to look at the back of the packaging. Universal uses a nice grid that makes it easy to read.

Some people should take a few more seconds shopping rather then grabbing something instantly because its on sale.

As a side note, my Hollywood Video stocks modified versions of The Mummy Returns and Cats & Dogs but they have begun to stock the widescreen version of The Grinch.

Joe R

Auditioning
This is a little off topic.What is the deal with Universal?Fast and The Furious-widescreen for rent,JP3-Pan and Scan,Mummy Returns-Pan and Scan,and The Grinch half widescreen half pan and scan.Why cant they make up their minds?Widescreen being the correct answer of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks