I thought that I had finally stopped doing dumb stuff!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jim Williams, Jul 14, 2003.

1. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Second Unit

I just got my new Onkyo TX-SR601 and set it up this afternoon. After I got all of the wires and cables connected and set the receiver back in the stand I turned it on for the test. I popped in "Gladiator", selected DTS and sat back. Whoa! The right surround was way louder than it should be. I started the test tones to check out the levels. Right front - OK, Left Front - OK, Center - ??? sound coming out of the Right Surround, Right Surround - ??? sound coming from the Center.

I had mixed up the wires when I was putting them in the binding posts. I felt like such a dummy!

Once I had gotten it all straightened out, I was really impressed with what I heard from the 601.

2. Grant B

Grant B Producer

dumb stuff will only stop after they close the coffin lid.
    at least you didn't blow anything!

3. Cagri

Cagri Second Unit

When I first got my speakers (Kef Q35.2s) I terminated the speaker wire with banana jacks with proper red and black indicators. I hooked the wire to the receiver and plugged the banana plugs. The speakers' binding posts are also clearly colored in red and black. After listening some time I saw that one speaker was sounding weird and I checked the wires. What I did was, I connected the wire wrong on one speaker. I plugged red banana plug into black and vice versa. Blown tweeter on the first listen, took it to the place where I'd bought and they replaced it. I still can't get how on earth I did that.

Last night I was making a backlight for my TV and I was building a power cord with two wires with a British type plug. I connected the plug, connected the fixture, attached it to the wall with some very strong sticker and plugged in. Didn't work. Thought it was the bulb, went out and got another one. Sure it didn't work. Thought it was the fixture, and replaced it, no luck. WTF is going on!! I was desperately looking for something to replace! Then I checked the plug and there it was, those stupid little screws, I'd hooked one wire to the earth plug instead of the nicely clearly briefly fused phase...

4. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

The first time I had my separate amp hooked to my receiver I was trying different interconnects and forgot to turn off the amp before unplugging the interconnect. The loouudd pop almost gave me a heart attack and I was almost sure I blew my speaker. Luckily everything was fine except my nerves which were shaking 15 minutes after the incident.