I thought my broadband was fast, but in Korea & Japan...?!!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Peter Kim, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Using Bandwidth Place or DSL Reports, I get an average of 1700 kilobits per second (kbps) and many times a peak of 2200 kbps.

However, CNN states that Japan and South Korea lead the world by a huge margin - 26,000 kbps. To translate:

2. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Their population density allows for some of this wow factor. Since DSL is very distance sensitive, wiring up a high density city block is much easier than wiring up a suburb of say Chicago. It isn't actually 'easier', but the amount of subscribers/money you can get back from the urban one is many times greater. So you invest a lot of money in that area.

It'll get there in the US, just takes some time. Who even knew what broadband was 10 years ago?

3. David Baranyi

David Baranyi Stunt Coordinator

I wonder what the MPAA would think about increased broadband speed in the United States?

4. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Joe,

I can see how population density/distance from DSL center affects broadband penetration. But what the article fails to mention is why the speeds are 10 - 15 times greater than the US.

I can only vaguely recall an article in which it discussed prevalent use of fiber optics as opposed to the traditional cable in this country...but I'm not sure.

5. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

6. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

The biggest problem in the US will be no one wants to pay for the upstream bandwidth. I'm sure cable and DSL companies will soon tout 10 MB/s and even 25 MB/s connections, but if you hit a T3 at the central office to go out to the world, it doesn't mean squat.

Of course, they probably won't mention that in their fliers. Those DSL speed tests really only reveal the upstream limitations when you run them in the early evening to a server that is not inside your ISP...then you'll see the true capacity.

7. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

1700 kb DSL? That's pretty impressive. I suppose that the 3 Mb technology is out there-it just isn't offered in my area yet. Sure, Sympatico thinks it is, but I know from experience that it's easier said than done.

Still, I'm happy with my 1.5 Mb connection, which is averaging 1.3 Mb on Bandwidthplace. Much more stable speed than cable... Still, 26 Mb/s speeds-that can't be DSL, can it?

8. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Yeah, it is. There are distance limitations though, like you have to live very close to the base stations to get this speed. But speeds of around 10 Mb/s are easier to get.
    This is pretty common in Sweden, a country with not very high population density, so I don't think that's the problem. Of course, not everyone would be able to get it, but most US cities could easily get that speed for most of its residents.

I'm not sure what keeps the US from getting higher speeds.

9. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

10. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

11. MickeS

MickeS Producer

But the bottlenecks are there precisely because of that kind of reasoning!

12. Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith Supporting Actor

Where do you guys check your speeds?

I've checked my online at DSL Reports, or speed check and I get rates of 3 Mbs +, on a consistant basis, any time of the day.

I'm running Cable though not DSL.

13. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

14. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

My old apartment that I lived in for three years used to average between 1800-2300kbps via Adelphia Cable Modem (and no, in 3 years I never ever experienced the dreaded Cable Modem Slowdown despite living in Los Angeles). My new apt averages a paltry 1100 via Verizon DSL.

Those Japan and S. Korea numbers are staggering though. I work at a university with crazy speeds (I'm hooked up via 100MBps to the campus backbone) and I only score 13000 on those 2wire tests.