1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

I thought it was a good find....my wife called me white trash!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kyle Richardson, Sep 10, 2001.

1. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

This weekend my wife and I were driving down our street and we passed the church on the corner. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed the dumpster in the back of the parking lot with a familiar large brown cylinder sticking out of the top. Quickly, I whipped the car around and pulled into the parking lot to the amazement of my wife who had no clue as to why I was trying to make our Hyundai into an immediate sports car. As I pulled up next to the dumpster my initial thoughts were confirmed, a 4' length of 18" diameter sonotube in perfect shape. As I grabbed it out of the dumpster I caught a glimpse of my wife in the passenger seat just shaking her head and wanting to hide somewhere. I managed to fit it into the car and took it home where I put my treasure in the basement to await a future project.
    I have no idea as to why it would be there because they are not doing any construction work at the church. The only explanation that comes to mind is that one of my neighbors is doing a project and had this left over but it was to large to fit in their garbage can.
    My wife said that all she had ever hoped for was to be normal,middle class people and couldnt believe I dumpster dived for my treasure (she said this while smiling so I knew she was joking).
    My question to all of you is: Have you ever found anything that you could use for your DIY project such as sheets of MDF, or super cheap but high quality drivers at the pawn shop?
    ------------------AOL Instant Messenger Name: kyler70

2. GregE

GregE Agent

I have had something similiar happen to me recently. My wife and I were exchanging an end table at the mall. We had to pull to the back loading dock area to load the new table. I noticed a dumpster behind a store that must have been undergoing renovations. Much to my wife's chagrin, I run over, hop up and start pulling out some nice conduit that would work perfectly in my modified flexy entertainment center that I'm currently building. The only comment that I got was "I can just see it when my parents come to visit and I explain that my husband built this from stuff he pulled out of the trash."
    :)

3. Richard Greene

Richard Greene Stunt Coordinator

I've got a 4' tall 18" "BaxTube" in my living room with one
    15" Adire Audio Tempest driver. I paid about $20 for the
    tube in 1994.
    Dumpster diving pays off!

4. Dan Davidson

Dan Davidson Auditioning

I never any luck like that. I always end up paying retail plus 10%.

5. Grant B

Grant B Producer

The Yearly Unlimited trash day is pretty scary, lots of building material. One day it dawned on my wife that I would go out and pay $$$ for the same stuff that I dragged home.
    She was really surprised when I came home from walking the dogs with a 24" Sony TV that I had fixed for $35.
    Can't beat that price!!!!!
    ------------------
    Why?
    Why do you keep hounding me and harassing me and hounding me?
    It's not like I don't have anything better to do, you know.
    It's not like the Phantom Cruiser is going to wax itself.
    It's not like last night's burrito stain will just up and remove itself from my cape.
    I am a superhero!
    A very very busy superhero! Who does...things!
    Now get out of here before I tell your mother.
    AND DON'T TRAMPLE MY BEGONIAS!
    -Space Ghost..