I thought isolated scores were extinct...

Discussion in 'DVD' started by PaulP, May 29, 2005.

1. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Admitedly, isolated scores, for whatever absurd reason, were never a big feature of DVDs. Almost every non-barebones disc has trailers and deleted scenes and some sort of featurette, and quite often one or more commentary. Isolated scores show up very few and far between, especially lately, which has been rumored to be due to the studios' fears of bootlegging. Imagine my surprise then, upon playing the new I, Robot 2-disc edition. On the box it's labeled as a "commentary by composer Marco Beltrami" but it's just a good ol' isolated score with the composer's comments inserted in between cues (although - and I think this is done for those pesky "bootlegging" reasons - he often speaks over bits of cues). I had given up on DVDs giving us isolated scores, and then this shows up, pretty much unannounced. And I'm glad the upcoming Ben-Hur 4-disc set will have an isolated score as well. That should be very exciting!

Sorry to ramble, I was just very pleasantly surprised. Perhaps this is just a one-time thing, but I would hope more and more DVDs offer us the isolated score feature. My dream, of course, would be for the upcoming Batman SEs to feature isolated scores, at least on the first two films, with Danny Elfman's comments, since they are some of the best 80s-90s scores.

2. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Nice to see they aren't entirely dead.

3. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Eventhough it's not a movie, episodes on The Twilight Zone season sets have isolated scores. Not every episode has an isolated score but if they could find it, Image put the score on the disc[​IMG]

4. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    I think Hellboy also had an isolated score, can't remember. When I first got into dvd 6 years ago I naively assumed every film on disc would have an isolated score, sadly that wasn't the case, but there were far more then than now. Witches of Eastwick, Beetlejuice, Bridge on the River Kwai, Enter the Dragon etc etc
    Wasn't there a link to a complete list online?

Really looking forward to the Ben-Hur 4-disc set and isolated score. Miklos Rozsa's epic music is in my top 5 favorites film scores.[​IMG]

5. Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher Screenwriter

Joseph E Fisher

The Hellboy DC has the isolated score w/composer commentary. Not sure about the TC.

6. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

Thank you for mentioning that the new I, Robot release has an isolated score with commentary by Marco Beltrami! This gives me the incentive to pick it up.

I love it when DVDs include an isolated score option. It makes me especially happy when the score is in a 5.1 format as it is in Red Dragon (with comments by Danny Elfman). Since isolated scores are rarely included, when they are included, they make a DVD release particularly special to me.

7. Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman Supporting Actor

WB also includes isolated scores for a bunch of cartoons on the first two Looney Tunes sets.

8. PaulP

PaulP Producer

9. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

I still have the Alien dvd because of the isolated track.

Very haunting

10. rich_d

rich_d Cinematographer

Rich

Ditto.

Steve,

I don't remember there being a isolated score to Bridge on the River Kwai. Are you talking Region 1?

11. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Rich, Bridge on the River Kwai does have an isolated score, and it was region 2.

12. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Annie (1982 version) has an isolated score on the non-SE region 2 UK disc. No idea whether it's stereo or mono, though.

I would love to see more isolated scores on DVDS, but I doubt it will be likely.