I think the wife should come first....

Henry Gale

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Henry Gale
....but what I'm seeing way too often is the husband's name first.
As in: [c]John & Mary Smith[/c]

It should be:[c]Mary & John Smith[/c]
As I've heard it in the forgotton past, the reason for this form is, "Smith is John's name, and thou shall not separate a man from his name." If the marrage ends, Mary goes back to Mary Jones, John will always be John Smith.
So, what do you use?

Andrew W

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Addressing others you should use:

Mr. & Mrs. Frederick Frankenstein

Signing something from you and your wife, the person who actually wrote the letter would come last, but you never give yourself titles.

Sincerely,
John and Mary Jones.

(on behalf of you both, but Mary actually wrote or typed the letter)

With Regrets,
Mary and John Jones

(John wrote the letter speaking for both)

MarkHastings

Executive Producer
Reaction score
But it isn't "John" & "Mary Smith" - it's "John & Mary" Smith.If you're going by who's name it originally was, then I would still say "John & Mary Smith" is correct. The reason is, when you say something like "Orange & Pineapple Juice", the order indicates that there is more of the first item (or an emphasis on the first item). The same differnce with "Blue-Green" (i.e. more blue than green) and "Green-Blue" (i.e. more green than blue).

So "John & Mary Smith" would mean the first name is the original owner of the last name.

my 2 cents.

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronyee.com
Real Name
Cameron Yee

I read an etiquette column that said as much. When I address letters I go this route, though I'm not sure my friends know about this. Since the majority of my friends have been women who met "some guy," it probably seems I'm listing them in order of who I knew first or feel closer to.

Henry Gale

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Henry Gale
....go ahead Bob, was there something on your mind?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Tony D.
i always thought it odd to address a married couple as

mr and mrs steven jones.

her name isn't steven.

do people still do that?

Wayne Bundrick

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Yeah. What Patrick (and possibly Bob) was thinking.

David Williams

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
David Williams

It is increasingly frowned upon in etiquette circles. I, personally never started using it and it is something I've broken my Mom of using (now if I could just get her to use the 3 line address format with state abbreviations...
) If I was a) female and b) married, I would never want to be addressed as Mrs. John Doe. Ick!

As for hubby or wifey first? My own way of doing things is the relation of the couple to me. Am I friends with/related to the wife or the husband? Who wears the figurative pants in the family? etc...

For example, my cousin Elaine just got married. I would address their Christmas Card to "Elaine and James Doe".

I notice something weird while going through my address book: some couples are always addressed one way by the people they know, while others are addressed another. For example, my cousin Marji and her husband are always referred to in conversation or in writing as "Marji and James" but rarely as "James and Marji." Something to ponder, anyway.

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronyee.com
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Well, how many people find it more natural to say "Mom and Dad?" When I say it the other way it sounds weird to me. I imagine it has to do with who was my family pant-wearer.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Reaction score
In Italia, the women come second.....

(and sometimes not at all - yeah baby !!!)

Sorry, I digress...

My wife always gets a kick out of the old etiquette. When she is introduced to someone who I know, but has not met herself, she introduces herself as "Jan, wife of Kirk".

Of course she only does that when she's feeling comical.... or at stuffy social functions.

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Nathan
The Old Ways should Always* be Preserved.

* This is not always true.

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Website
www.holodeckht.com
Real Name
Neil Joseph
[admin hat comes off]

When a couple marry (man & woman because these days you have to specify), the two become as one. Also, it is my belief that the man is the head of his family in that he has the resposibility, which is a fact that is becoming less and less apparent these days, sadly. Thus, I believe that the man's name should come first then his wife second, but this does not mean that the wife is lesser because of this either, as one must submit to the other and vise versa. This opens up a whole other topic that could be debated for weeks on end.

[admin hat back on]

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Oh yeah, that's what I was thinking. I cracked up when I read that thread title.

Oh for the record, yes, I support that....

JonZ

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Im kind of worried because thats not the meaning I was thinking of when I read the title of the thread

It should have been

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corn Pop