I think the new Halloween has disaster written all over it

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by todd stone, Feb 23, 2002.

1. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

PLOT:
    Plot Summary: He's back for more... When a group of teens win a contest to spend a night in Michael Myser's childhood home to be broadcast live on the internet, they believe they are in for a little fun and some free publicity. But, things go frightfully wrong and the game turns into a struggle to make it out of the house alive.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/h/halloween8.php

2. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

I'm not a big fan of the Halloween series but in H20 didn't Jamie Lee Curtis cut Michael's head off with an axe at the end, after a series of painful beatings that would have made him brain damaged throughout the film.

Do any Halloween fans have the explanation to this?

3. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Simple explanation:
    H2O cut a tidy profit. [​IMG]
    Horror sequel producers are not about to let logic or human physiology stand in the way of another reliable payday!
    Wasn't it the 4th Friday the 13th flick in which Jason basically got his scalp chopped off? That was 6 sequels ago!

P.S. Looks like Dimension/Miramax has switched the subtitle from Homecoming to Resurrection and bumped up the release date to 7/19!

4. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Disaster? Depends how you look at it. Me, I love the 'Halloween' series, and I canot resist when a new sequal is released. I love them all, except the aweful Myersless 'Halloween III'.
    Jamie Lee Curtis is returning so that will lend a touch of class to the film I think, she did in H20.
    Nick,
    if you watch the ending of H20 very closly you will begin to realize that the man Jamie decaps isn't Michael. Look at the evidence and it's pretty obvious, sometime between the time she left Michael lying there stabbed on that collapsed table, and the time she hijacked the ambulance, Michael pulled the ol' switcheroo on her. He put his clothes and mask on some poor sap and rendered him unconcious, then Michael himself disappeared once again.
    Now, how that guy survived getting pinned against a tree by a van is anyones guess, considering he is mortal unlike Michael. But this explains why when Jamie goes down the hill to see if he's dead or not, "Michael" starts grabbing his head confusingly like he doesn't know why he has a mask on, he DOESN'T know because it isn't Michael.
    Also, in the van when "Michael" gets out of the bodybag and seemingly tries to kill her while she's driving, the evidence the film gives us doesn't support that. If you watch, you'll see that whoever is behind that mask is actually trying to get her to help him, unfortunatly she slams on the brakes and sends this poor SOB through the windsheild, but he was dazed just enough to still be able to get up.
    The most telling evidence that this theory is correct, is when "Michael", after getting pinned against the tree, reaches out to Jamie for help right before her fatal blow with the ax.
    So watch it again, and you'll see that not everything is as it seems.

5. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

Ohhhh thanks John, I'm glad you cleared it up, I knew there had to be a plausable explanation to the events in H20 [​IMG]

6. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    No problem Nick.[​IMG] It actually provides a very interesting storyline for Laurie in the next film, as she will no doubt be utterly devistated to learn that she killed an innocent man, and we all know that her state of mind was not "all there" to begin with, so it should be cool to see where that goes.

7. Terrell

Terrell Producer

Actually, VI was god-awful. H2O was decent at best. Halloween was and is a horror classic and one of the greatest horror films of all time. II is very good and a worthy sequel. III sucked so bad I don't want to eve think about it. IV was very good, scary as well. the best of the later sequels in that it returned to the method of creating creepiness and atmosphere, instead of the hack 'n slash formula. This one looks like a total cluster****, if you know what I mean. But then it can't be any worse than Jason X. At least they kept Myers on this planet.

8. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

9. Terrell

Terrell Producer

10. Scott Weinberg

Matt,
    You're arguing with someone who repeatedly bashes movies he hasn't seen yet. [​IMG]

11. Terrell

Terrell Producer

[​IMG] Not even worth a reply.

12. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch

13. Walt Riarson

Walt Riarson Supporting Actor

"Besides the fact that H20 completely disregarded 4-6, 4 disregarded the fact that both Loomis and Myers were blown to hell in 2,"

Well, I've heard there was a deleted scene in Part II showing Loomis getting blown either through a wall to the outside or something like that, so he may not have completely been burned up. Remember, in Part 4, Loomis had facial scars too.

As for Jason X, having been in college when all the Friday the 13ths came out in theaters for the first time, I am really excited to see another one come out. I've seen the trailer and think it really looks neat. As for Halloween: Resurrection, I don't have a good feeling about it, but I will see it anyway, as I have the same admiration and memories of that series that I do for Friday the 13th and other slashers.

14. JakeR

JakeR Stunt Coordinator

For slasher movies to be entertaining, they have to have some sense of self-parody, some kind of 'wink' at the audience.
    Movies like most early Friday flicks are just disturbing to watch, considering that their sole purpose is to give an erection to vaccuous teenagers who actually enjoy sitting through a 90-minute film where people are dismembered in horribly graphic ways. I somehow doubt most of them are aware of what the term 'irony' really means.
    I like a few of the Nightmare films (1, 3, and New Nightmare) for their creative spark. Halloween 1 and H2O were fairly well made. Anything else is a waste of time, IMO.
    I also have to chuckle at the discussion over logic in any one of these films. It's like creative integrity is a priority with the producers. [​IMG]
    If it was just some poor sap under Michael's Shatner mask, why not say something? Was his mouth covered, his tongue cut out? Why couldn't he just remove the mask? Was it super-glued on? Where did Michael get the super glue?
    If the producers actually planned to include this as a misdirection from the start, it would've served H2O better to have revealed it at the end of that film, instead of the beginning of this new one.

15. Scott Weinberg

16. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

I love just about all horror series with the exception of the Leprechaun saga. However, based on what I've heard about the new Halloween sequel(and no, I don't believe everything I read on the internet), I think it's just going to suck. Anyone familiar with the series beyond the point of buying a movie ticket knows Moustapha Akkad has proven all he cares about is money, which really isn't a shock considering the nature of the movie business.
    One thing that annoys me about this one is...the understanding that Jamie Lee Curtis' character is knocked off this time around. This is a betrayal to what H20 was all about.

On a sidenote, for those of you who seem to poo-poo the idea(or mere existence) of Jason X, give it a chance. You may be pleasantly surprised. Other horror sequels like Hellraiser: Bloodline have tried the space thing and failed. Jason X is the first to get it right.

17. Terrell

Terrell Producer

18. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

19. Terrell

Terrell Producer

I think Scott doesn't appreciate me slamming Jason X, seeing as he has the opposite view. Because quite frankly, that statement is completely untrue. Where he got the word repeatedly from, I have no idea. I have criticized Jason X. Most here are criticizing Halloween VIII Lord knows nobody here has criticized any films before they've seen them.[​IMG] Since when are movies so scared that they can't be criticized by the idea, or story?

20. Scott Weinberg