I think my Samsung HDTV died. :(

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jason Harbaugh, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

I have a Samsung HCM4216W HDTV that is just over 3 years old. I turned it on tonight and the convergence is completely out of whack. Like someone used the guns as disco lights then just left them all pointing in their own directions. I can't manually adjust the convergence. When I get to that menu and try to move the little crosshairs, nothing happens.

This happened when I first bought this tv. I bought a floor model, worked for about 2 weeks then boom, all out of whack. They gave me a brand new one and I didn't have any problems until now. I think I bought the extended 4 year warranty but looking at my receipt it doesn't say how long. It could be 3 or 4 years. I'm hoping it is 4 because the 3 years ran up in Feb.

This really blows. I bought this from Soundtrack or as they are known now, Ultimate Electronics. I hope they will come through for me. I can't afford to replace it. So much for those earlier comments about how I don't want to replace a working HDTV that only has component inputs. It should last 10 years! Phoooey, I jinxed it.

2. Adam_R

Adam_R Second Unit

Good luck with the TV. I hope your 4 year warranty is still in force.

This is why I buy from Circuit City. They keep all the records and have a GREAT repair/replacement policy.

I am about to get an exchange on an old Sony I have had many issues with and now is doing similar things as your TV.

Good luck!

3. Jason Harbaugh

Woohoo, thank you extended warranty. Looks like I'm covered through 2008. They had all my records with just my phone number so no worries on trying to find old tickets.

Now I just have to wait for the service guy to schedule an appointment. Last time this happened, they couldn't fix it, they just replaced it. I wonder if they will do that again, or if they will just try harder this time to repair it?

I'll tell you what, I normally scoff at any offer for an extended warranty but I think for big ticket items like this I will continue to opt for the additional years. They just don't build em like they used to.

4. Jason Harbaugh

Repair guy came, replaced a chip, tv works. Guess it happens alot, they just burn out. Doesn't bode well for the future if it only takes 3 years for a chip to go.