I think my DVD player is about to kick over.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Tilley, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

Well sadly I think my player may be fast heading to it end. I have noticed lately that the picture is getting more grainy looking, I keep getting little white & black dot flickers at random times, layer changes are getting much more noticeable, & it is starting to get a slight hiss on silent passages. I have checked out the laser for dirt & dust & it is spotless so I think that can be ruled out & all my disks a perfectly clean so I think it is just coming to its time. I cant complain though if it dose go as it has had more than its fair share of use over the last few years, but I just hope it will hold out just a few more months[​IMG]
    Anyway have any of you had you DVD players die on you? And if so did you get any warning sings of what was to come,or did it just all together quit? I'm just curious if anyone had similar problems & how much longer it held out after starting to notice them.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

DVD players that are not top-of-the-line, built-like-a-tank models don't seem to stand up well to a lot of extended use in one session. That has been my observation, though there are many exceptions. It could be the laser assembly has entered into the terminal phase.

What kind of DVD player might we be talking about?

And, no, I've not had a player die on me. However, I have more than one, and I spread movie duties between them. Further, they are meticulously cared for and I never let dust accumulate.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Joe, isn't this the Sony DVP-C650D changer with some 25,000 hours logged? If so, then it would not surprise me if it has run its course. You got a lot of use out of that player, and my guess is that the laser assembly is dying.

4. Joe Tilley

Yep that would be mine Keith. I'm know up to 22,671hr on it. I wonder if Sony would give me a new ES model if I give them mine for research purposes[​IMG] [​IMG] No I couldn't get that lucky, but it would be pretty cool.
    I really hope it would last for another year or two for a bedroom player. I plan on replacing it in the next few months & was going to move it & my current TV into my bedroom, but if it goes I cant complain its been a good player for it time.
    And jack, I can honestly say that this player has had several days that was used for 16 to 20 hours a day for a few months in a row. At the time I didn't have sat or cable & my wife & I worked different shifts so it got used from around 7or 8am to sometimes 3 in the morning when I came home, not to mention all the times I have fell asleep with it on:b I must admit I am surprised with how well it has done, but also like you I keep everything very clean all the time.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Joe, well, it is amazing that you got so many hours out of a DVD player, especially with such consistent use. There are a number of good DVD players out there that are inexpensive these days, so you could get something for the bedroom without breaking the bank. That's not as desirable as a hand-me-down, obviously, but again, it shouldn't be too expensive. Since you seem to like Sony products, you might consider either the DVP-NC615 or 'NC655P for the bedroom. What is your budget for a player for the main system?
    You said:

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Well, Joe, with the kind of abuse you've thrown at that machine, I have to say I am impressed with how well it has performed! Yes, you've squeezed most of the useful service life out of it. Time for a new player. [​IMG]

7. Joe Tilley

Keith, I would like to keep my budget around 500 or more or less have to because I will be buying a new Sony RPTV here soon also. I have been looking at the newest Sony 300+1 changer not sure of the model of hand but I'm leaning toward the mega changer idea. I have looked at some other brands & was concidering the Kenwood Sovereign 400+3 but at 1200hundred bucks its a bit of a stretch for me.
    I have thought about another 5 disk or even a ES model single disk but I just like the idea of not having to mess with my disks anymore.
    I still got a couple of months to look around & think so if you or anyone else has any suggestions fell free to throw em my way if you'd like.

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Joe, the Sony megachanger you mentioned must be the forthcoming DVP-CX875P. Crutchfield's web site says it will be available on October 25th ($500). Oade Bros., J&R Music World, and OneCall should have it for less.

As for an ES model, your only choices are the 'S9000ES and the new 'NS999ES. As you may know, both play SACDs, but the 'S9000ES does not play multi-channel SACD tracks. Unfortunately, both players are priced well above $500, even though the 'S9000ES has been discontinued. You might consider the 'NS900V for a bit less, however.

9. Joe Tilley

That would be the one. As for being able to play SACD, MP3 or any of that stuff I'm not to worried about it as I hardly listen to any music at all. My main concern is just for DVD & that's pretty much it. If what ever I get dose have those abilities I guess that would just be a future proof bonus for that just in case instance. With the Sony my only issue is I have read alot of not so good reviews about its predecessor the DVP-CX870 I believe, but at the same time I have always liked Sony & apparently had pretty good luck with them so that's probably what I will end up with. But I will be shoping around & keeping my eyes open for other things.
    Do you know if the new Sony's have any trouble with the CROMA-BUG? I don't completely understand everything about this problem but I have read up on a few things about it & what it dose. For what I understand of it, it is only a problem on Progressive Scan players is this correct?