I think my computer is fried!!!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vlad D, Mar 1, 2003.

1. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    I came home the other night and my computer was off. Now, I always leave it on. I tried to turn it on but it wouldn't power up. All of my components, moniter, printer, speakers, etc including my computer are plugged into an APC UPS, and everything else was still on. I figured that maybe my power supply blew and I went out and bought a new one today and installed it........no good! Still won't power up. Now I still think my power supply is fried because when I installed the new one, an LED on my CD burner lit up. So I'm guessing something else is also fried, probably my CPU or motherboard, or both. What do you guys think? What could of caused this? If it was a power surge, wouldn't all my components be affected? Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm so frustrated right now and have no idea how to troubleshoot this.

Thanks,

Vlad

2. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    Have you tried plugging the computer directly into the wall outlet just in case it was the UPC that was fried?

3. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    Yeah. First thing I tried.

4. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

If you have an APC UPS, any electrical problem would stop there. If your monitor comes on, then the UPS is ok.

However, if there is a problem with your board, such as a short, the power supply will stop. If you turn it on and the power supply fan starts but then stops, you have a short somewhere.

Your best bet is to unplug everything and pull all of your cards too, including the video. You'd just have the motherboard connected. Then power it up. If it goes off, then your board or CPU is fried. You could look at your motherboard fan. If that starts up, then I'd guess the CPU.

If that doesn't work, unplug the motherboard cables and plug a disk drive in and see if it spins up.

Try to swap parts rather than buy them. (It's cheaper!)

Glenn

5. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt

6. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Exactly. Upon further thought, pull the keyboard and mouse plugs too, just to be sure. Then add them back in, one or two at a time. Ignore the beebs, if you get any. (I guess if you do hear beeps, that is a good sign, no?) [​IMG]

Glenn

7. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

8. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    You guys are geniuses! I took Glenn's advice and pulled all the cards out (video, sound, modem, network and SCSI). I also followed John's advice and pulled out the CPU. I also pulled out my memory. I then replaced the CPU, memory and video card, and have nothing plugged into the back, except for power cord. Pressed the power button and viola!!! It turned on. Now, according to Glenn, this would mean that either the CPU or board is the problem. But couldn't it also mean that one of my other cards that are not plugged in is the culprit?

I'm going to try and replace one by one and see what happens. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks

9. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    Well it looks like my modem was the culprit. I plugged every card back in one by one and my computer wouldn't power up when I put in the modem. Which is no big deal since I don't use it because I have DSL. I only left it in as a back up in case the DSL was ever down. Anyways, everything now is just fine. I only which I knew the cause.

Thanks again John and Glenn for all your help.

10. John_Berger

That's just bizarre. If you don't need the modem, then all is well; however, I'd still be concerned that there might be a short in the slot connector as well. To have a card that's been in there suddenly stop the computer from even booting is disconcerting.

Actually, you could have used this as a good excuse for a new motherboard and processor. [​IMG]

11. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt

12. John_Berger

13. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Did the phone cord that was plugged into your modem go directly into the wall, or through the APC?

Glenn

14. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt