I think my cat is addicted to yogurt!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeffrey_Jones, Apr 19, 2002.

1. Jeffrey_Jones

Jeffrey_Jones Second Unit

Hello,
    For his entire life, my cat has been content with his dry cat food. He couldn't care less about human food and doesn't even get overly excited when I open a can of tuna.
    A few moths ago I opened the fridge and pulled out a container of Yoplait yogurt. He showed some interest so when I was finished I let him sniff at it. Then I made the mistake of letting him have some. He is now officially obsessed with the stuff. Any flavor...doesn't matter. If I open the fridge he sticks his head in and looks right at the Yoplait. If I open a container he is all over me. I only give him a very little bit after I'm done (I can't imagine it's very good for him) and he seems content until I open another container.
    Does anyone else have a yogurt obsessed cat?
    Thanks,
    Jeff
    PS - Here are a few pictures of the beast:
    http://www.novirtue.com/swap/Merlin_Sleepy.jpg
    http://www.novirtue.com/swap/Merlin_Alert.jpg

2. Rain

Rain Producer

My cats go ga-ga over antipasto, even the kind with no tuna in it. Since it's totally vegetarian without the tuna, this is perplexing.

Needless to say, I only let them have some very occasionally and not in much quantity.

3. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Katiekat is a fiend about string beans.....go figure.

4. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

My cat loves yogurt, ice cream, salad dressing‚ÄĒanything creamy. I gave her some lemon yogurt once, though, and she didn't seem to like that. Too tangy.

5. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    Both of my cats (and a dog) love yoghurt. My smaller cat is addicted to chocolate chip and apricot muesli bars; she used to rip open the boxes they came in to get at them.

Adam

6. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Yes, cats and dogs HATE citrus smells. We use citrus oil to keep cats away from furniture.

I figure the half teaspoon she manages to lick out of a yogurt cup won't hurt her once in awhile

8. Paul D Young

Paul D Young Second Unit

Dear Jeffrey,

Talk all you want about me but keep the Yogurt coming.

Good boy!

Love,

Merlin

9. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Aren't cats lactose intollerant? But I guess if you don't give them too much it couldn't really hurt.

I'm no cat lover, but Merlin's a cool looking cat! Love the name too.

My cat, Cassey, loves to catch bugs. She'll spend hours in our backyard in the early evening when all the bugs are around chasing, catching, and occasionally eating dragon flies, mosquito hawks, and whatever else flies into reach. She hasn't shown any kind of affection towards any human food. Oh she'll take a taste when we accidentally leave something out, but she doesn't go gaa-gaa.

10. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Yes, cats do not possess the enzyme required for properly digesting dairy products--which puts the kibosh on the whole notion of laying down a bowl of milk for Mittens. Since your little furball loves this yogurt, and would like to continue with his vice, why not discuss the matter with his doctor?

Last night I had some pasta in meat sauce. Of course, I also had some parmesan cheese on the side. Attila the Cat, my beloved colorpoint shorthair, started chowing down big time on the cheese. Since he was enjoying it, I let him indulge for a few seconds. Then I distracted him by lifting my arm and causing him to look away for a second, and I secreted the cheese from where it was sitting. Attila didn't seem to notice its absence and then proceeded with his evening patrol duties in the house.

I love cats.

11. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Pasta. Don't get me started on cats and pasta. I live with two pasta thieves named Katie and Susie. One time I made up a plate of tagliarini "olio and oglio" or whatever they call it (olive oil and garlic). I sat on the couch to eat it and the girls got on either side of me. They simultaneously lunged forward, grabbed stands of pasta, and hightailed it out of there, with pasta streaming from the corners of their mouths. They ganged up on me!

Hightailed it out of there. That sounds like a cat expression.....

12. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan
    My 10-year old cat, Bailey, loves anything strawberry flavored. Anything! Yogurt, popcicles, pop tarts...anything!

My 2-year old cat, Petey, loves spaghetti sauce. Not tomatos, or other red sauce products, just spaghetti sauce.

I have weird cats.

13. Steve Russell

Steve Russell Stunt Coordinator

My cat Moe loves Romaine lettuce. Baffles the hell out of me. I was cutting some up for a salad one night and put the scraps in the trash. A few minutes later she is trying to get into the trash can. I gave her a small piece of the lettuce and she loved it. She like baby spinach too, I don't even like that. The male cat Max doesn't even want to give it the time of day if it isn't meat. Georgie the other female likes peanut butter and cool whip free. They each have their favorites.

14. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Steve: I don't think it's a good idea to let Moe eat those veggies. Please consult with his doctor. Don't mean to alarm you, but I've read that cats should not consume vegetables.

Dennis: Loved your post. I could picture what you were describing! Funny how cats always get the upper hand in a situation. If they're determined to do something, we have basically lost the battle.

15. Jeffrey_Jones

Jeffrey_Jones Second Unit

I'm glad to know that my cat isn't the only one with strange dietary habits!

Bill - I'm sure that Merlin appreciates your compliment. I was always a dog person myself but living in an apartment makes that impossible. It turns out that Merlin is very much like a dog in many respects. He loves people, loves parties, comes and sits on command...he's a lot of fun.

- Jeff