What's new

I think I've decided. Double Check me, here. (1 Viewer)

NickSchmidt

Agent
After all the long searching and whatnot, debate between direct view and rear projectors, price concerns, and everything else that can possibly fall in between said categories, I think I have finally decided on which TV set to get:
Panasonic CT-30WX52
Link Removed
Right now the price is pretty steep at $1799. I'm hoping that by the time I purchase a new tv (around april 2003) it will be dropped in price. Do you think that this will happen? Because I don't see sense in spending 800 more dollars on this 30" over the Samsung 30" for only $999. And one last question. Does this TV upconvert 720p signals to 1080i? I'm not talking about for watching television because I know tuners and receivers usually do that, but if lets say a video game can be displayed in 720p, would I be able to upgrade it to 1080i internally or would I have to just play the game in 480p?
THANKS!:D

NickSchmidt

Agent
Well, who knows. But it's easier to save up for something if I know what I'm saving up for. It's substantive motivation.

NickSchmidt

Agent
Dammit, I still can't decide. Now I see this Toshiba 42H82 that displays 720p signals and it has caught my eye. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. I'm so lost I'm going to cry.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Its just my opinion, Nick, but I think that Panasonic has missed the boat with this model at its price point. It is not too much additional money to go up to the 34” Panasonic, Sony or Toshiba models, all with very fine pictures and features, and, as you point out at, its possible to get the same size Samsung for substantial savings.

For me, I found the larger, 34”models a better price point (I chose the Sony, but really thought that the Panasonic was equally good). And for a smaller 16:9 set (bedroom), I went with the Samsung, as I felt that cost of the Panasonic was too steep.

I think that either this model’s cost will drop, or the model will be dropped. Don’t forget that there will be a downward trend in the cost of the 34” models that will force the price of this set down also.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks