What's new

I think it's time for ol' Ahnuld to lay it down! (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
It's so sad to say this, but I agree that Arnold should throw in the towel. As said above, he's just looking worn and a little long in the tooth to go around chasing bad guys, running through jungles after kill crazy aliens and so on. And, even though noone has officially said this, he's too old to play the terminator anymore. The way he looks now is VERY un-terminator like. That is of course they come up with some explanation for the change, like Skynet changed the design of the T-800 series terminator to look that way or something.
Arnold, I love ya ya big lug! You've given us all memories to cherish. From mowing down legions of badguys with bloody accuracy in Commando, to killing an entire police station full of cops in The Terminator! Blood, violence, explosions, mayhem, ahh those were the days.
------------------
Warner Bros. is officially dead to me.

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
I agree Arnold's best stuff was in the eighties/early nineties. My favorite movie of his was Predator.
What did you guys think of The Running Man? It was kinda cheesy but entertaining in many ways :)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
"But I hope you leave enough room for my fist because i'm going to ram it into your stomach, and break your God damn spine!!!"
I love The Running Man!
------------------
Warner Bros. is officially dead to me.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
I disagree that all of today's action movies are bad. Most American ones are, but America doesn't make all the action movies. Up until the Chinese takeover of Hong Kong, they made action movies that made American ones look like they were standing still. Importing their talent, but not their cut-loose sensibility, wasn't enough. Woo hasn't done a great action film in America yet, with Face/Off coming closest. Tsui Hark gave up and went back home after mining the fallen Van Damme to death. Ringo Lam..er, what has he done over here? Jackie Chan, had he really come over here 10 years sooner, would have been the greatest, but his old self just can't keep the kicks going like he used to.
As for action stars, Chow Yun-Fat still has it (but also can do "legit" acting, unlike Ahnold, which is why he won't last into his 70's like Sean Connery). Vin Diesel, contrary to the "Fast and Furious" naysayers (which was a good movie for what it was) is going to continue to grow on people. I loved that Alien rip-off he did. Ben Affleck...well, okay, that is a bad one...he needs to cut it out. Jet Li, if given a good script, is amazing though America has yet to tap into his action goodness.
I think to get more good action heroes, we need more action directors and there are too few of those out there who take it seriously enough not to make flippant self-referential bastardizations of what the good old day of actioners had going.
Phil

Ruben Zamora

Stunt Coordinator
But even then. Most Action movies are CRAP! Theyre stupid action. Not like Commando, Terminator Action. THAT WAS ACTION. The action movies today are GARBAGE!!
I'm not giving up. After watching Collateral Damage, that will determine how I feel about Awnulds retirement.
------------------
Ruben Zamora
Onkyo TX-575X
Pioneer DV-333

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
I think he can still do action roles, as long as the action isn't extremely physical. I mean, bulky or not, 50 or not, the guy is still in great shape.
He has never done the van Damme type action anyway, with jumping into a split etc. Well, let's face it, he couldn't - and doesn't have to. Brute force, muscle power, guns and one-liners, that's Arnold, and being 50 doesn't mean he can't do that anymore. All it takes is the right story.
Terminator 3 would be iffy, but I'm not going to say "impossible". Predator 3... not sure about that. Still, I can think of dozens of storylines where Arnold would suit perfectly, and I'm sure Hollywood can too.
If I were him though and really wanted to do more good action movies, I'd take pay cuts. I mean, the guy is already filthy rich, I'm sure, so why worry about making top dollar as opposed to making movies that can really entertain?
------------------
/Kimmo

Brad Vautrinot

Stunt Coordinator
I wish you guys would give poor ol' Ahnuld a break. I think he still has a few more good ones in him before retirement. Now, as to who should retire I have a sample list:
Madonna - a mid-forties 'mom' still dancing around on a stage with her jugs in cone-shaped bras? Disgusting imagery.
Warren Beatty - set to play a pimp in Tarentino's forthcoming film, Kill Bill. Beatty's in his 60's. A sixty year old pimp? You gotta be kidding me. There's no such thing.
The Rolling Stones - Is it not probable that in a year or two they will be traveling to their concerts via Paratours? They won't even book into the big theaters anymore because they don't draw the fans like they used to. Charlie Watts and Keith Richard look like they've been dead for 10 years and dug up.
Me - I should retire as I'm wasting too much valuable bandwidth posting nonsense like this.
errrr.gif

"I lick dead people"

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I dunno guys. I think Arnold slowed down a bit right after his major heart surgery a few years back. Then, after a couple of good-but-not-great movies, he seemed to pick back up.
I'd say that he can make films forever; there's no reason he can't transition his roles to be more appropriate for the age and look he displays as time goes on.
And as for "President Schwarzenegger", I'm sure that the fact that he was born Austrian is the only thing that was keeping him out of the White House for a while there. He was extremely popular, wasn't he?
biggrin.gif

------------------
DAVE/Memphis
My 3-year-old enjoying Superman - The Movie in widescreen:
Steve_Widescreen.jpg

(Some of my DVD's are to the left side of the picture)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks