I think I'm thinking of buying a tv. Please help.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by McPaul, Dec 5, 2002.

1. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Not looking for anything too big, as I'm in an apartment. Probably in the 47-53" range. I'm going to be watching DVD and digital cable. There's no HDTV in Calgary right now so that's not an option. I do have an XBOX now as well.

I don't have the greatest budget either. This makes the Panasonics attractive to me, but many posts I read seem to say Panasonic is good bang for buck but not included in the top few brands. What are the forum's thoughts on the Panasonics? Is it worth it to jump up to a Sony or a Toshiba? I can get the Panasonic 47 for $2800 Canadian, and the Panasonic 53" for $3500 Canadian. What would the Sonys and Toshibas and Hitachis give me that the Panny wont?

Many thanks.

2. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    is $2450 including tax and delivery a good price for the Panasonic 47" (the 52 model)?? after rebate, this would be $2250 Canadian after 7% tax, delivery, and rebate.

if so, might buy it tonight or by sunday...

3. John Parris

John Parris Stunt Coordinator

Have you considered front projection? ~$2500 is where things really start to get interesting in FP in my opinion... if you have enough room, it'd be a lot less bulky than a RPTV. Something to think about.

4. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    John,
    I think both of them are talking about Canadian currency, so $2500 would probably be somewhere around $1600-1650US.
    FWIW, that's the price I paid for my 53wx42 from Best Buy, which was delivered yesterday (YAY!!!) despite the snow(!). Of course, that came w/ their promo offer of free leather recliner and free in-home delivery. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Here in the US, the 47wx52 would probably cost about the same as the 53wx42. AFAIK, the only diff between the wx52 and wx42 lines are the protective screen and so called "better" sound.
    If you guys don't have kids, I suggest going w/ the 47wx42 and save a few hundred bucks instead. Even if you have kids, you might want to consider alternative, inexpensive ways to protect the screen.
    _Man_

5. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    I forgot to mention that there is a $200 mail in rebate for this tv as well, which makes it a little more attractive than other brands. This makes final price for the Panny 47" of $2250 Canadian. After 7% tax, delivery, and rebate.