What's new

I think I'm a nerd and/or geek, tell me what you think. (1 Viewer)

StephenA

Screenwriter
For movies the genres I like most are: horror, anime, fantasy, sci-fi(excluding Star Trek, historical epics, and comedies. I like some action and drama. I also like Kevin Smith movies, Muppet movies, Disney movies(excluding the terrible sequels), and Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan movies. I like seeing movies in OAR whenever possible, and hate pan and scan. I have a sizable DVD collection with 121 titles. All the ones I coul buy in OAR, are in OAR. I refuse to buy pan and scan and VHS if I have the choice. I also love seeing movies in the theater that are meant to be seen that way(IE Gladiator, SW saga, Spiderman, ET, etc.)

For music I love mainly classical, instrumental, chamber, atmospheres, film scores, big band, classic rock, progressive rock, metal, punk, thrash, and singers such as Nat King Cole and Frank Sinatra. My favorite instruments are the piano, sitar, harp, harpsichord, flute, bagpipes, and the acoustic guitar. I love when they are played well.

For subjects, I love zoological science, anthropology, primatology, ichthyology, rchaeology, Egyptology, and history. I love watching stuff on the History Channel, Animal Planet, Discovery, Discovery Science, Discovery Health, TLC, and PBS on these subjects.

For TV shows I mainly shows on Discovery, Discovery Health, Discovery Science, TLC, Animal Planet, History Channel, VH1, and PBS. My favorite TV shows are Behind the Msic, the Simpsons, Family Guy, Rugrats, Rocko's Modern Life, Malcolm in the Middle, Drew Carey Show, Frasier, Wild Discovery, Jeff Corwin Experience, and Autopsy on HBO.

I love animals. I take pride in taking care of my dogs, fish, and birds. I love making them happy. My favorite animal is the chimp. I find them very fascinating and intelligent. I love primates in general, except for most humans. Animals are a huge part of my life.

For physical activity I love riding my ATV, doing yard work, swimming, and running/playing with my dogs.

My hobbies include reading, collecting basketball cards, collecting Beanie Babies, collecting Grateful Dead bears, taking care of my pets, going on the computer, watching and collcting movies, sleeping, and sitting in the woods. I also love playing video games, especially simulation games like SimCity and the Sims. I miss the days of Sega, Atari, 8 bit Nintendo, Intellevision, and Turbo Graphix 16.

I tend to use big words alot while taking to people, while knowing what they mean and using them correctly. I also have a habit of correcting others when they use words wrong or give wrong information. It's a bad and rude habit, but I hate when people act smart and think they are, but really aren't. It makes them look like an ass, and really gets under my skin. I admit I have bad grammar skills when writing stuff down. I also have a hard time spelling sometimes too, because I think I have a slight case of dyslexia. I can't read that good either, because words, sentences, paragraphs and such get all boggled up on me. This is another reason why I think I have dyslexia. I love writing and creating stories though.

Stuff I hate and/or can't do that alot of nerds and geeks can do is: physics, build or fix a computer, draw, math, speak other languages, mold, sculpt, write in cursive, and other such things.

My family, friends, school teachers, doctors, etc say I'm highly intelligent, but I don't know. I think they are just being nice. I scored real low on an IQ test when I was in a psychiatric hospital, the number being like 100. I think it's because I have bad muscles and bad muscular control, and alot of the tests required me to be blindfolded, thus making it real hard for me. At one time they thought I had muscular dystrophy, which luckily I don't. I just have bad muscular tone and such. The people who took the IQ tests did say I had a vocabulary of a senior in college, and I was 15 at the time.

So does this all make me a geek and/or a nerd? Tell the truth. And to top it all off, I wear glasses.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
You're asking the question on the Internet on a Saturday night and you're not sure?

And here I am replying to the question. It sucks to be me.

StephenA

Screenwriter
Does it help that I do go out sometimes and get really plastered? Other than that, I really don't have a social life. I do have friends though.

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
I can fix computers, speak another language, and write in cursive, among other things. Those abilities don't label me a "geek/nerd", nor should doing the things you enjoy label you as such. Do what you enjoy (as long as it's legal) and don't worry about what others think. You're not living your life for them.

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
Before you come on this forum, with claims of being a geek -or a desire to be known as one - I think you should have at least a thousand posts. At 278, you're just a wannabe! And for you to be truly geekoid, you should have said that you bought a LD player and the original SW trilogy, after having gotten into DVD. Sorry, you have a ways to go. Close, maybe, but not there yet!:D

Kevin P

Screenwriter
And for you to be truly geekoid, you should have said that you bought a LD player and the original SW trilogy, after having gotten into DVD.
Oh, do I qualify? I had LD before I got into DVD but got the SW OT LDs after getting into DVD. And I upgraded my LD player to add AC-3 output.
Not only that, I met my wife in a personal ad, and have a Linux machine in my house.
Does that qualify me as a geek? :)
KJP
(A geek and proud of it!)

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
Kevin, with over 2000 posts, I annoint you as a "super-geek!" I suspect your wife is a patron of the Order as well! Congratulations!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks