I think I want to live at the Egyptian...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam_S, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    Man oh man I got my March Calender of screenings at the Egyptian this monith, and its agonizing the amount of films they're showing that I want to see. sadly I'll probably have to ration myself to only two!

Egyptian March calender!

Man I've already experienced what has to be the best of the Spanish festival, so I can bear to pass on the rest of these wonderful looking films, there are at least five of the Irish films I want to see, and I may fit in one.

Then there's the Robert Wise Tribute, man oh man, i want to see every single one of these films (most of which I"ve never seen before) and I simply don't have the money or the time, or the transportation!

Then theres the tribute to testosterone or the Bruckheimer lollapalooza, simply seeing many of these films on the big screen that I only know as guilty pleasure dvds would be an awesome treat, seeing them at the Egyptian would be damn near perfect.

Man just going over the calender again, I may have to find some way to beg, steal or crawl to get to the Egyptianmore often; I definitely have to see the following:
    One of the Irish films, probably one of the opening night films, they both sound so wonderful...
    The Sound of Music 70mm newly restored print (probably what played at the facets of the diamond screening).
    The Day the Earth Stood Still (never seen it, but really really want to.
    The Rock/Armageddon double feature. So guilty, but probably will be worth it. only problem is the damn thing starts at seven! hopefully it will be over by midnight, though I hate riding LA public transportation that late (although I haven't had trouble yet, but why push my luck?)

Adam

2. Kirk Tsai

Kirk Tsai Screenwriter

Since it is the end of the month, New Beverly also has their schedule up for the next two months. It's not the Egyptian or Academy theater when it comes to theater conditions, but it's probably still the best revival house around, and definitly deserving of audience support.

3. Chauncey_G

Chauncey_G Second Unit

I attended the Egyptian's John Carpenter tribute. VERY cool theater, INCREDIBLY cool program, and UNSPEAKABLY cool that such a place even exists.

4. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Know the feeling. Of course, I actually did choose my apartment to be close to Cambridge's Brattle Theater.

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

ARRGH!

Star Trek:TMP and Andromeda Strain double feature with Robert Wise and the Trek crew!

6. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    i know Jeff, just one of the many parts of that particular fest I'll be missing!

I can't wait to see your reaction when you see their first annual animé fest lineup in may, it hasn't been announced yet and I don't know any, but I bet it will be absolutely great!

Adam

7. SteveP

SteveP Second Unit

Although their programing is first-rate, I think that it was a major historical loss that the Dimension 150 installation at the Egyptian was removed-the ulimate way to see 70MM.

8. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    Steve, I'm not familiar with why they lost it (did it go to the academy theater? and did it improve 70mm because its a curved screen? because I thought there were only two films made in dimension 150...

9. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Actually the Nuart is the place to be. Tarkovsky retrospective in last Feb-early March and Fassbinder in April. Unfortunately, I live on the other side of the country.

10. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    How can they be having a tribute to Robert Wise and show the original cut of Star Trek - The Motion Picture? He has disowned that version of the movie. Paramount was able to screen "The Director's Edition" in November of 2001. I would think if the Egyptian really wanted to, they could also show it. This is the version that Wise approves. Besides, "The Director's Edition" is a far superior version of the movie.

Neil

11. SteveP

SteveP Second Unit

All formats were exhibited on the deeply curved Dimension 150 screens.