I think I sold 10 Z3s last night

Discussion in 'Displays' started by JohnnyKretentiv, May 22, 2005.

1. JohnnyKretentiv

JohnnyKretentiv Stunt Coordinator

Yesterday was the first time that I have had one of my legendary parties since I bought my Z3. Things were going along as planned when someone mentioned, "Hey we have to watch the Preakness!". I am not one for horse racing but I would me more than happy to accommodate my guests. Honestly I didn't even know it was taking place. So I looked it up on the web and found out it was in HD on NBC!

At around 5:05 we all piled down to the StrangeAttitude Cinema and watched the race in 100" HDTV Pleasure. No one could believe the quality of the picture. Here are some comments:

"Wow, that's what HD is supposed to look like."
    "Man look at the blue color!"
    and my personal favorite, "Hey Honey! Come down here and look at this!"

Then the questions started. How much? Where did you buy? Is it better than a RPTV? That last question was easy to answer since i just fired up my 65" Mitsu and had them compare the image for themselves. I then explained the +/-s of the technologies.

All in all, everyone was AMAZED with the Z3 and they all want to buy one. This is so fun.

One more thing. Have you watched the IMAX version of Apollo 13? Wow that is a great looking flick.

2. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    I clicked on your sig link to see what kind of gear you have.

Are you using the Zenith 318 over component or DVI?

I don't know about you, but even on a 32 inch 4:3 CRT, I sure saw a lot macroblocking, digital artifacting, and ghosting thanks to the Faroudja chip in my Zenith 318.

Being on a screen that size has got to be downright merciless. Have you seen things like that on that massive screen of yours?

3. JohnnyKretentiv

I am using component with the old firmware. But no I have not seen any defects with the 318. I am very happy with what I have been getting out of that unit. No image shifting no macroblocking nothing.

4. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    Good. [​IMG]

5. Kirk Patrick

Kirk Patrick Stunt Coordinator

i am still firmly on the fence between a CRT-RP and an FP (either Z3 or Panny 700) lately i am leaning toward the Hitachi 57 F510 (because of a concern for screen door effect, lighting issues and black levels)

so your comments interests me...how do you compare the Z3 to the Mits for PQ?

i am only able to to get about a 13 foot throw and 12 feet sitting distance so am very concerned about screen door which is turning me toward the Hitachi. also, during the summer my light control is not the best.

any comments or even screenshots comparing your gear would be great

thanks!
    kirk

6. JohnnyKretentiv

As we all know the the main dfference with RPTV and FP is the ambient light situation. I believe that if you have ambient light at any level your FP picture will suffer greatly. So if you have light issues save yourself some headaches and go for the RPTV. I think everyone in the display forum will agree with me. From the looks of your setup (lighting and seating dist) you might be better off with the RPTV. Too bad cause FP is awesome. If anyone disagrees please speak up!!

I compared the FP and RPTV before I bought my Z3 and found that the Z3 PQ was very acceptable / excellent. I look at the image it provides and am very pleased with it. The edges are razor sharp and the colors are fantastic. It all comes down to setting it up right. Getting your greyscale calibrated and the colors accurate. The blacks are more than adequate.

I am running the Z3 at a 11.5 ft throw dist to a 100" rollup screen. My first row of seats is 13 14 feet away and the second row is 17 feet. The screen door is gone at 12 - 13 feet with a DVD. With HDTV it is gone at about 3 feet.

I had some skeptics at the house last night when I started the PJ. But after they saw the picture they ate their words. One guy stood about 4 feet away and said, "There aren't even any lines on the screen." Another said, "It's a 100" plasma!"

Before buying I highly recommend you look at the Z3 is has a great lens shift and is a lot easier to move than a 150 -200 lb tv. Believe me I know.

I will try tp post some screen shots but I am not very good at that sort of thing. I can never get them to look right. Jeremy Anderson also has done the same thing that I have done. Do a search for him in HTF and AVSForum.

7. Kirk Patrick

JohnnyKretentiv

i am afraid you have only worsened my dilemna [​IMG]

i will be throwing about the same distance and sitting about 1.5 feet closer than your first row

it sounds like i might get a great picture at that setup..are you seeing any screen door at 12 feet away?

i would not project an image that large, i would be in the 84" range

also i will be buying an upconverting dvd player to convert dbd 480 to hd 1080 (i assume without checking that the z3 has hdmi which is necessary for this to happen) so if the hdtv picture is that good perhaps the z3 might work really well at my distances

as far as light, i will have to rig up a blackout curtain that i can quickly put over my patio doors...it will probably mean that for may june july, i will have to wait a little longer to start a movie...i think i can get about 90% blackness by about 9:30...

you have said "ambient light at any level"...are you being literal?..
    in other words, absolute total darkness?

this is still the question i guess.....it's a hassle versus the rp-crt which wouldn't have those issues

i think i will at least try to look at the z3 before i make any move

i tried to find screenshots by jeremy anderson but couldn't..can you point me to some?

thanks!

8. JohnnyKretentiv

You can handle a little ambient light but of course it's best with total darkness.

I have an up-converting DVD player and yes the Z3 does have HDMI and 2 component inputs. I do not see screen door effect at 12ish feet but the image looks better at a longer distance. With a 84 inch screen you should be fine in terms of seating distance.

If you can black out the Windows then go for it. I think you will really like the image you see.

Here's a link to my site. I have taken some Z3 screen shots from another site and put them on my server. I have to agree that my image looks just like these. I just can't take a picture worth crap.

http://www.theater.strangeattitude.com/video.htm

9. Kirk Patrick

JohnnyKretentiv

i like the shot of riddick!

unortunately the photo gallery at avs is down right now but i will try later for some z3 shots

i have had my eye on the z3 over the 700 from the very beginning

lighting is a pain but i can deal with that (as i say it's only really about 3 months of the year)

pq and screendoor is a much greater concern especially at my somewhat shortened distances

i wish i could audition a z3 here in canada but no luck i think

also, i can go to the states to buy it..it's a lot easier to bring back an fp than a 200 pound crt!!

thanks!

10. JohnnyKretentiv

That shot really impressed me too. And notice another thing. There is no vertical banding in that pic either. My Z3 is completely devoid of any VB. Plus it has the dust blob cleaner and the 3 year warranty.

My Z3 is calibrated using a CC20R filter ($7.00) and a 1 dB attenuator ($4.50) on the red component cable. But you get more than an adequate picture without those tweaks. I'm just a little (a lot) obessive with the details.

What sort of screen are you looking at? I bought a pulldown screen for $100 from Tigerdirect but I bet an 84" is about $85. My whole setup, cables, mount, screen, and Z3 cost about $1850.

You can PM me if you want.