What's new

I think I need to re-learn how to find a job. Can anyone help? (1 Viewer)

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I've been with the same telecom company for several years now. I found that job as soon as I came to Calgary from a small town, only a few years after graduating with a BBA from UCC in Kamloops, BC. I started in the call center, worked my way up through call center management, tech support, tech support management, and eventually Change Management Consulting.

Unfortunately, the company I worked for is well known for having quite a ruthless layoff program. My last promotion (in September 2003) was a huge step for me, but I found myself both "overpromoted" and low man on the totem pole. My major was in human resource management, and I have no formal training in change management, despite asking for it repeatedly over the last year. I have some retail experience as well from several years ago.

Suffice it to say, my resume does not look fantastic. I've been out of work for awhile now, constantly applying for things on monster, workopolis, hotjobs, and whatever else comes to mind, but for whatever reason, I never get a call. I think I can do well enough at the interview to get the job, or at least move to the second round of interviews, simply because I've GIVEN so many interviews - myself.

I don't have any contacts, really, to help find another job, as everyone I worked with on my level, and higher up the chart was in Vancouver, or Edmonton, or somewhere else out of town. (there was a lot of travel involved, yes!)

So now I'm stumped. I'm 32 years old, 10 years away from a BBA with no formal training since, and I don't have a lot of savings, so going to school isn't really an option right now, although I'd be more than happy to go back if I could afford it.

I'm considering focusing my search on just a retail job at this point, just so I have SOMETHING, but I've already applied for a couple of retail jobs at places that particularly interested me, and because of the Change Management Consulting on my resume, they all think I'm a huge flight risk and wont hire me.

So, because it's been so long since I've looked for work, can someone please suggest a surefire method to find work when not currently employed? Any links that I can follow for some tips? I just need a foot in the door.

Thank you!

(or better yet - is there anyone here from Calgary that works at a communications company (preferred - but not limited to) and "knows a guy who knows a guy"?? :) I would greatly appreciate a chance to speak!!

[email protected]
ICQ 121412168

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Absolutely. Actually, that's where I get a good chunk of my leads from. I mostly see staffing agencies on those other sites.

There's also a site here called careerclick.com which includes postings from major papers in Canada, searchable by location, etc.

Thanks! :)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Well, I spent about four months unemployed last fall, and didn't get much of anything through applying online. I was just coming off a Master's degree at the University of Waterloo, and ended up finding a job through a career fair that they run for students and alumni. There was something like 10 weeks between talking to the company and getting called in for an interview out of the blue though, so sometimes these things just take a little time. You might want to see if there are any events like this around in your area?

Otherwise, it's all about who you know. I've known people who have done well simply through social networking and being involved in something that helps you meet a whole lot of people.

DaveHo

Supporting Actor

So, don't put it on your resume. I've been with my company for a number of years now, have worn so many different hats, that it would be silly to list all that I've done. I see no foul in leaving it off. Now putting something on there which never occurred, well that would be a different story.

-Dave

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Also check the specific websites of any area companies you might want to work for. Most companies of any size have a website with a section listing available jobs.

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
I just started working after 18 months off (although I was only actively searching during the last 8 months). I actually did find my job on an internet database but I was using searches for specific text in the postings. Some things to try (although I don't know if all work in Canada):

- Sign up with a temp agency (if they have one there). Manpower Professional offers a substantial amount of online training in project management, software packages, and other things. It also gives you an extra set of eyes trying to find you work. I had several of my temp agencies call after I had accepted my new job.

- Use the search tools on the job sites and customize your resume to match the job postings or your career focus. I have a broad background after 14.5 years with my previous employer but my last couple were in materials and procurement. It was a search for words related to that that turned up the job I got.

- Make sure you have a good resume. If you are looking outside your field consider a functional resume since that highlights skills and doesn't highlight where in your career they were acquired. Each accomplishment in your resume should have a power word (delivered, managed, designed, etc) rather than a passive word (assisted, participated, etc). Each accomplishment should have a concrete benefit associated with it (reduced cost by X%, reduced response time by Y hours, etc). You can be a little creative since your sole accomplishment might have been part of a team effort that had a big benefit. Don't make up a benefit or exagerate beyond what was actually delivered.

Hope that helps. Best of luck.

Kenneth

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Another frustrated night of scanning the job boards before heading out in the morning to continue to work...

Even the jobs nobody wants wont hire me. I must be doing something wrong.

There are many temp agencies here in town, and I have applied for many jobs they have had posted, however have not been selected for an interview. That is my biggest hurdle: getting the interview.

(just thought I'd vent here)

Anyone else wanting to share job search frustrations?

Thanks for all the help so far. I really do appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks