What's new

I think I need a USB 2.0 Connection... (1 Viewer)

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
You guys, I desperately want to purchase a portable mp3 player. I've ony seen them support either an IEEE394 Firewire connection or a USB 2.0 connection. I'm afraid my computer is so old, it won't support the connection I need in order to get one of these things! *grrr*

I've got a DELL P3, 550MHz. 512MB RAM (upgraded from 256MB) I bought it in 1999.

How in the world do I know if I've got a USB 2.0 connection. I know I don't have a FireWire connection. I would guess I probably don't have the USB 2.0 connection either. Is this a card/connection I can buy? Or am I out of the loop since my PC is so old?

Sorry if the questions sound ignorant. I don't wanna spend a couple hundred on the mp3 player and find out it won't work.

Scott.

Eric Alderson

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Scott, all the USB 2.0 devices that I have seen were compatible with USB 1.0 or 1.1. I know your system does not have USB 2.0 since its a few years old but you should have standard USB ports. I have one of those Sony NetMD minidisc players and on the packaging it said USB 2.0 and 1.0 compatible. I have the USB 1.0 ports and it transfers fine. USB 2.0 will give us faster upload speeds to our devices, but are not completely necessary for them to work.

MikeM

Screenwriter
Just curious, why do you think your computer can't handle a firewire card? Again, if you have an empty PCI slot for the USB 2.0 card, you should also be able to install a standard firewire card as an option as well.

If you do that, you can then consider the iPod. Just a thought.

Kris McLaughlin

Stunt Coordinator
FYI, I used a Firewire PCI card on my old P3-500 with no problems whatsoever. DV camera & FW hard drive both worked flawlessly.

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
You guys, I don't necessarily need a FireWire connection or more importantly, an iPod. I'm actually most interested in the Creative Labs Zen 20GB player. But anyway, I do have "regular" USB ports (1.1?) on my PC. Since it's older, again, I'm assuming they aren't 2.0 connections.

Now I'm wondering, does it even matter? I know the Creative Labs player supports a 2.0 connection. Can I still use the USB connection I have with my PC right now? I realize the data transfer won't be quite as fast but I'm not as concerned about that as I am just knowing this will work. So... would it?

Scott.

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
Nevermind, I just realized Eric answered my question in the first reply. I guess I'll have to check if the Creative Labs is backward compatible? Or is this a given that it will work with my connection?

Scott.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks