What's new

I think I killled my subwoofer :( (1 Viewer)

So, I was all happy getting my HT system hooked up here in Maine yesterday. When I first plugged in my three year old Cambridge Soundworks Basscube 10 powered Sub, I was getting a bad hum and tried various outlets till it went away.

I watched about 6 hours of DVDs last night and it was working fine. Then I woke up this morning and noticed a very low hum coming from it. I turned it on and off several times, tried a couple other outlets and then after several loud hum bursts, it would not turn on at all. So I unplugged it and took it out of the system. I unscrewed the user-accesable fuse and it looks blown (blackish line in the middle), but there is an ominous electric burn smell from inside the woofer itself. Thank God I didn't start a fire.

It's Sunday am and too early to call Cambridge about it and I don't even know if they are open Sundays...but I have the horrifying feeling I have just trashed my subwoofer.

My Overture 2 Infinitys have built in subs so I have adjusted my receiver to feed the bass signal there for the meantime....but I sure miss that LFE bottom.

John

Mary M S

Screenwriter
my sympathy.
just thrashed mine too. Running it for about 2 yrs.
Noticed something was not 'right' with LFE and pulled it out last night.
Blown fuse replaced..thats as far as we got....still quiet as a church without an organ....

...and I refuse to leave my mains (for their own protection) on large even though border line capable....not with this dB crazed bunch around here...
will have to live with the loss of some of my lowest range till I sort it all out.

sigh.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Been through 2 external HSU 250w amps, so I too feel your pain.

First one replaced under warrenty, no chrage. 2nd one died out of warranty, so they offerred a newer amp at their cost. I thought that was fair enough. While the QC of these amps certainly lacks, the customer service was top shelf.

Hopefully Cambridge will atke care of you.

BGL

Mike Keith

Second Unit
Will the cone move freely when pushed with your fingers? If you feel rubbing when the voice coil is moving then the driver is blown, if not, did you replace the fuse and try it again?

Thanks guys...the driver is fine..but after the "event"..it won't even turn on. I did take out the fuse and will get a replacement at Radio Shack...but I think I may haved fried this thing.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member

Gee, Brian I think I'll watch movies at your house :D

John, I think the change of the fuse may very well fix the problem. If I remember correctly the fuse shuts everything down once burned out and the burning smell can be pretty bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks