I think I just started an international incident....

Discussion in 'Music' started by Danny Tse, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

In my post I have hit the BIG TIME!!!, I mentioned an article on High Fidelity Review regarding Warner Bros. issuing SACDs in Hong Kong. I initially contacted Brian Moura, who writes for HFR, about the SACDs issued by Warner Bros. Hong Kong. I was just forwarded an e-mail by Brian Moura....apparently a woman from WB called the publisher of HFR and denies any involvement of WB in the production of SACDs. The woman said that WB's music was merely licensed and WB is fully behind DVD-A. I have one of the HK Warner SACDs and nowhere did it mentioned that the music was licensed. I have another HK Warner SACD on the way from yesasia.com. Oh no, maybe Ted Turner will come over my house and physically destroy my WB SACDs tonight....

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Warner is a co. that is being restructured. They recently consolidated many offices in the US and moved their HQ to the parent co. HQ building in NY to try to reduce expenses. It is a distinct possibility that the parent may sell the co. (Wanner music) as well. It has been noted in news coverage. When that type of thing goes on, it does not surprise me that they have no idea what is happening within their own co. I don't see them making many changes to their current slow and cautious DVD-A support until if and when the co. is sold.

3. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Hmmmm....the article at High Fidelity Review has been altered to indicate a Ms. Susan Mazon of Warner Bros. stated that Warner Bros. is totally committed to DVD-A. All info regarding HK Warner Bros. hybrid SACDs has been deleted from the article. However, the HFR article didn't deny HK Warner Bros. has released SACDs though.

I checked the yesasia.com website, and the newly released HK Warner Bros. hybrid stereo SACD from Sammi Cheng has been removed from the SACD page. However, it can still be found on Sammi Cheng's page. The other HK Warner Bros. titles are still available however.

I have in my hands the Sally Yeh SACD from HK Warner Bros. and on both the SACD or the DSD-remastered redbook CD the words "(copyright symbol) 2001 Warner Music Hong Kong Ltd. Warner Music Group. An AOL Time Warner Company" is prominently displayed. I hope Ms. Mazon is aware that inside the SACD jewel box is a product guide to Sony components, including the SCD-1 and the not-available-in-the-US SCD-XB770, along with an explanation of SACD/DSD technology.

Edit....also notice that HFR has removed HK Warner Bros. from its list of SACD labels. Talk about corporate censorship. I guess I just got myself some really collectible SACDs.

4. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Yes they are very sensitive to the issue since they have been the chief major label proponent to the format and everything is not going great in the music industry, including their troubles which are worse than most. If a sale does happen it likely won't be to another record co. due to regulator concerns and all bets are off as to what will happen to their DVD-A support or if Hi-Rez will even be a priority. For example, if they sell and Microsoft buys, the main thrust may be downloads of exclusive content. if they sell of course.

5. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

HK Warner Bros. has released, to my knowledge, at least 7 SACD titles in Hong Kong before its first stereo hybrid SACD. Only when this piece of news hit HFR did Warner Bros. US knows anything about it. Even if HK Warner Bros. stops issuing SACDs, it will not that big of a loss since pretty much all the worthy material has been released on those 7 forementioned titles. Unless SACD becomes the mainstream format in HK....

6. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

7. JimChan

JimChan Stunt Coordinator

8. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Jim,

You have the Sammi Cheng SACD? Is it really a promotional item? On yesasia.com website, the Sammi Cheng SACD is listed as a stereo hybrid, so it's actually a multi-channel SACD?? What's happening is that Warner Bros. Corporate is denying any involvement with the production of SACDs. I counted at least 7 HK Warner Bros. SACD titles and that's before the Sammi Cheng SACD release. I have the Sally Yeh SACD from HK Warner Bros. and nowhere did it say "Promotional".

By the way, have you try any of HK Universal Music's SACDs?

9. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

As of today, 02/10/2003, looks like all Hong Kong Warner Bros. SACDs have been deleted from the yesasia.com website. As far as I know, yesasia.com is the only place on the net that sell these HK Warner Bros. SACDs. And HK Warner Bros. is the only Warner Bros. unit that manufactured SACDs. It's possible that HK Warner Bros. will be forced by corporate Warner Bros. to no longer manufacture SACDs. So if you are interested in HK pop music or just want some collectible SACDs, get your hand on those HK Warner Bros. SACDs.

10. JimChan

Danny, thanks for the tips, I may get some SACDs then, like George Lam and Sally Yip. For HK artists, so far I have bought the Deanie Ip SACD. In general HK artist don't make such an appeal for me to purchase their individual albums (apart from a very few exception). I normally bought their compilations, mostly on CDs.

11. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Not a problem, Jim.

Except for BMG HK, all of the major labels in Hong Kong so far have only issued compilations for their HK pop music. I would strongly recommend the George Lam and Sally Yip SACDs from HK Warner Bros. I just received the Danny Chan SACD today from yesasia.com but I have not listen to it yet. The general opinion on the net so far is that the HK Warner Bros. SACD releases have the best overall sonics, whereas the SACD releases from HK Universal Music are not so good.

So far, I have purchased the compilation SACD from Leslie Cheung (Cinepoly), Roman Tam (BMG), Jenny Yan (Sony), Danny Chan (Warner), Sally Yip (Warner), and Cheung De Lan (Wing Hang). And of course, the debut album by Prudence Lau (BMG). I will pick up the and George Lam (Warner)and Deanie Ip (Wing Hang) SACDs. Personally, waiting for the Sam Hui (most likely Cinepoly) SACD.

12. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

OK, what's going on here?

First, HighFidelityReview.com deleted the HK Warner Bros. hybrid SACD info and HK Warner Bros.' link as a SACD label (not that SACD was ever mentioned on HK WB's site). Now, yesasia.com has basically told me they don't have any info on HK Warner Bros. SACDs. How ironic that I just received yesterday from yesasia.com the Danny Chan SACD from HK Warner Bros.

What's next? Human never landed on the moon? Crop circles aren't real? Celine Dion is a great singer??

13. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

[​IMG]

14. JimChan

Looks like the HK WB SACDs will eventually disappear from stores, once the current copies sold out.

15. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Jim,

I think that will be the case. If you want to pick up those George Lam and Sally Yip SACDs, better hurry up.

Of course, this will change if (and only if) SACD becomes THE hi-rez standard.

16. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

An update....

While yesasia.com no longer carry Hong Kong Warner Bros. SACDs, I have now located another website that sells these "not supported by Warner Bros. Music" SACDs. The website belongs to Fat Kee Records, which is the distributor of audiophile CD/SACD in Hong Kong for labels like BMG, Sony, and Warner Bros.. Check it out....you'll also see other (but not all) SACDs by local HK labels such as Crown Records and Wing Hang Records. And even SACDs released by HK Universal.

The prices, I believe, are in Canadian $$$.

17. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Danny is that site for real? I can't believe there are still e-commerce sites out there with the appearance of the Fat Kee Records site.

None of these releases interest me however, so I will pass.

J

18. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Justin,

Fat Kee Records is apparently the disturbutor of the SACDs in question. However, up til very recently, the site wasn't set up for e-commerce at all. I only found out about it last night. The e-commerce part of the site is run by a company called malmusic.com, out of British Columbia in Canada. This info is from the "About Us" section of the website.