I think I have the solution!

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by LarryDavenport, Feb 4, 2005.

1. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

There are a lot of threads for TV shows on DVD that after an initial season, the studios just give up on releasing subsequent sets due to "poor sales" (Mary Tyler Moore and Barney Miller come to mind). I've had this idea for awhile, and I'm reminded of it everytime I buy a season of Friends and get a useless coupon to save money if I also buy another season of Friends (which I've already purchased as they've come out, and can't get the savings retroactively).

How about when you buy a season of a TV show, you can send in a pre-order (with say a $5 unrefundable deposit) for the next season immediatley and save, say 10% over wholesale? The studio will guarantee that at least those who had preordered will still receive the seasons, even if it's just a small, bare bones pressing.

2. John Carr

John Carr Stunt Coordinator

CHEERS/FRASIER/TAXI REBATE

Parmount has done something nice with the new Frasier/Cheers/Taxi releases -- buy 2 and get a $15.00 rebate! Very cool. It's also retroactive, that is, you can use the proof of purchase/receipt for of any previous seasons (unfortunately, if you already have them you're out of luck ), too.

I already sent one coupon in for Frasier 4/Cheers 4 and next I'm going send in one for Taxi 1/Taxi 2! For once I'm glad I didn't get the first Taxi when it was on sale. (This offer is also good for online sales, too!)

3. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

The studios won't do that, because the retailers would never stand for it. It undercuts the position of a Best Buy, or Wal-Mart, or Costco, or Suncoast, or whoever. And the studios can't pick one or even a few retailers to partner with for such a deal, because the other retailers who don't get to participate will scream unfair and sue. And the studios can't work with every retailer on such a deal because it would be just too damn hard to manage.

Sorry to shoot you down, but I can't imagine that this would work. And without putting money down to guarantee it, there's no way the studios would believe the "pledge".

4. Keith I

Keith I FoS

Keith
    I just got TAXI: SEASON 2 today and saw the coupon for the rebate. However, for the life of me, I cannot find the proofs of purchases in either SEASON 1 or SEASON 2! They're not inside the box and it's not part of any of the cover inserts that are inside the slimcases (you know, the ones you cut off). Is it because I bought both at Sam's Club and got them for a good price already? I had my wife look since she's really good at finding things and she confirmed my sets did not include a PoP label.

Well, I guess it doesn't matter for me (although I am still curious) since I bought TAXI: SEASON 1 when it first came out (you have to buy any title on the list after Feb. 1, 2005, like John alluded to).

So can anyone tell me where the PoP is in the TAXI sets? Thanks!
    -

5. Tory

Tory -The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

Tory
    I hate proof of purchases, why can't they just include a slip of paper with a hologram on it or something that can't be duplicated so I do not have to tear up my DVD case?