I think I blew out a CRT ... can I fix it?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Morgan-T, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Morgan-T

Morgan-T Auditioning

First off, what a great forum. This is my first post--I've been viewing for a while, but havn't had anything to post 'til now.

I have a 1998 Magnavox/Phillips 54" RPTV, model 6P5440. Last week there was a sizzle from the back of the unit, and a lot of odorous smoke.

Initially, there was no picture. Now there is a picture but it's all red. There is a faint image and light colored lines zigzagged across the screen (kind of like an oscilloscope effect). In the middle of the screen is a black smudge, as though something is on a lens.

I'm thinking I fried a CRT. I don't have the money right now to buy one of those tasty DLP or LCD projection units. So I'd like to salvage this one if possible ... even if it only lasts another year or so.

So my questions are:
    1. Does it sound like a CRT blew?
    2. Does it make sense to fix it?
    3. Is CRT replacement a DIY job? ... all I've done so far is replace CRT Coolant and adjust the convergence ... and please don't let my use of the word "oscilloscope" fool you, I know absolutely nothing about electronics [​IMG] .

Thanks

2. John S

John S Producer

Hmm, You need to have a service tech diagnose the problem.

I don't think you can assume you lost a gun. If your not a qualified service personel, there is no way I can suggest you try to fix it yourself.

Remember there are lethal voltages in CRT displays, even when off, even when unplugged.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Frankly, why not ditch this old set and get a CRT-based widescreen RPTV? They're so inexpensive now, and, for the most part, they still outperform the newer digital technologies. HD looks great on them.

4. John S

John S Producer

Yeah.. what Jack Briggs said for sure....

Best of luck with it.

5. Morgan-T

Morgan-T Auditioning

Jack Briggs wrote:
    I'd love to. But do they really offer a better image? The CRT's I've seen displayed at Costco and the like looked far WORSE than the DLP & LCD RPTV units. [​IMG]

But then again, maybe I've been making apples-oranges comparisons. What specs should a shopper keep consistant between models when making such determinations? ... for example, should all units have the same resolution? ... e.g., 720 lines per inch? And what is the optimum resolution? [​IMG]

Hope I'm making some sense here. Sorry if I'm not. [​IMG]