I think I blew my SVS Subwoofer..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shanthi, Jun 14, 2002.

1. Shanthi

Shanthi Stunt Coordinator

I need some help to figure it out how to fix my SVS subwoofers. I have dual SVS 20-39CS with Samson amp. The lights on the amps blink but no bass at all. I was play at 3/4 the volume on the amp.

Thanks for the help
    Shanthi

2. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

The amp volume is largely irrelevant, it should be full on anyways and you should control the volume from your receiver or pre/pro. Have you calibrated? What was the last thing you did when it was making sound? Did you possibly change or disconnect anything else? Does anybody else have access to the equipment? I would think if you blew both of them at the same time, you must have done something noticable. Check the woofers and see if they are vibrating at all, its possible you're cancelling them out if one is out of phase.

3. Shanthi

I was watching the THX logo on the Phantom Menance I and then I jumped to pod race. That's when I noticed there was no bass at all. Yes I did calibrated to 75db at refernec level and I watching at -10db. The amp was set to 3/4 knob for the above calibration.

I control my volume only from my receiver. I checked for any disconnect but could not find any and there is no body home to access.

Shanthi

4. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I wonder if the Sammy has a fuse that can blow while still allowing the panel lights to blink.

5. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Did you double check all your speaker wire connections?

If you have a spare amp/receiver around, try that on the SVS and see if it fires up. Also, if you have a spare speaker/sub, try that on the amp. Then, at least you wil know where the problem lies.

6. Shanthi

Actually one of the sub is started vibrating after I cranked up volume.

I was told to buy pair to over come such problems.

1)How do I protect the one which working and fix the other?
    2)How do I protect from not happening again?

I would really appreciate if some one can answer the above questions.

Thanks you

Shanthi

7. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Shanthi,
    An e-mail to us would be a good start ;^)
    If you watching at relatively mild levels as you describe then neither sub should be acting up. Let's get this into tech support channels via e-mail.
    Give us a recap as best you can of your setup including how you are connected and the sort of receiver etc.
    E-mail this to us though. Troubleshooting with forum posts can get pretty confusing.
    [email protected] is waiting to get started.
    Ron