What's new

I think I am going to downsize... (1 Viewer)

Tim Hess

Second Unit
I'm going to use my SVS sub, (unless the wife wants me to get a box, and I would just get another SVS).

As for hanging them, the wife wouldn't go for it :)

Greg Bright

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregory Bright
Your predicament is unfortunate but probably not unusual. This I know: should I ever buy another house the FIRST priority will be a room suitable for HT and outstanding sound. Views, vistas, pools, shopping, schools, amenities? Meaningless. My current room has a window BEHIND the screen and patio doors at the back. Reynolds has made my life so much easier with their recent invention - aluminum foil.

MikeNg

Second Unit
Tim,

If you're willing to go towers now (this is a departure from what you were mentioning earlier - I thought baby was a consideration?) you should look into the Rocket 550's. Nice finish (high WAF factor) and they have a more flat sound when compared to Klipsch. Some would say that they are even laid back, but to me they're pretty neutral.
http://www.av123.com/products_produc...&product=21.1.

Ideally you'd want all channels to be the same speakers for a seamless soundstage; at least have the mains and the surrounds the same.
A full 5.1 system is below your price point. Worth auditioning, and they'd look great in your room. Check out audioenvy.com to see if there's someone in your neighborhood that has a set they can demo. Remember though, you still have to run speaker wire back there for the towers and hide them from the wife - you have your orders! :)
Come to think of it, you'd have to run wires above the ceiling no matter what you decide - inceiling, hanging from the ceiling, or on the floor.

The Klisch inceilings are massive? I must be misunderstanding you. You also won't have any 'drywall work' to do, since the only cut you have to make is to a) pull the wire to the location and b) rough out the hole for speaker placement. If this is a one-story deal and you have attic space (looks like you should unless you have a flat top roof!) it should be even easier. If inceilng is still a possibility I'd take a few minutes to survey the attic and see if it'd be hard to pull the speaker wire. Personally if it were me I'd look harder at the inceiling option. Saves money, keeps the current gear, everything matches, and it's a clean clean install - no wires remember?

Alan, I've set up the RBH CT series for my sister, and they are pretty amazing for their size. The dual 8 inch sub has good output, but make no mistake, it's not a HT sub. I'd supplement that system with an SVS PB10. THAT would be killer.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Mike: Yeah, those RBH speakers are pretty interesting. I'm sure I'm goign to demo a couple more speakers before I upgrade to larger Maggies, so I may try to see if I can find a pair of some RBH stuff to listen to. That might be a challeng, I dunno. I'll definitely listen to the Totem Hawks, but so far I haven't hear a box speaker that made me forget about Maggie.

And by the way, I totally echo your SVS comment....I have a PB-10 paired with my Maggie MMGs and considering what I paid for this system it's very, very satisfying.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks