What's new

I think I am going to buy a country album......a REAL country album. (1 Viewer)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Loretta Lynn's new album, Van Lear Rose debuted recently & has received awesome reviews. You may not like country music & I only have a few albums myself but Mrs. Lynn is the real-deal and not that slick and plastic country/pop crap being manufactured by the "Nashville music machine" you hear so much of these days. Last month's issue of Sound & Vision magazine had a very long & detailed review of Van Lear Rose.

Make sure you take a look at who the producer was--holy sh*t!

So just going on the samples, her reputation & the reviews I think this CD will be in my rack soon. I have been checking out folk music the last year or so, so this kind of fits in that category.

As another person on another message board said about this album, "it is raw". And that's a good thing when it comes to some types of music.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy

I guess there's 2 sides to this. I agree there is that sugar coated pop country that I can't stand as well, but the real Nashville scene includes artists like Steve Earle, Emmylou Harris, Buddy and Julie Miller as well as many more.

I don't listen too very much country type music, its more americana style that I like and if you want some great country-folk-rock check out Buddy and Julie Miller.

John Watson

Screenwriter
"Sushi Kuntry, eh?"

I've thought it but never dared post that one. Tres amusant :)

Could be the title of a a comeback record for Siouxsie and the Banshees

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
It's a very good album. Her voice and the production make the most out of the fairly ordinary tunes, but sometimes the production sort of takes the spotlight from Lynn's wonderful vocals. I don't know that it's any more "real" country than most other country artists though, just different. It has a very contemporary feel in most tracks thanks to the production.

If you want traditional country music, I'd say that Lynn's colleague and sometime singing partner Dolly Parton's two GREAT albums "Little Sparrow" and "Halos and Horns" are far superior to this one. Do yourself a favor and check them out!

/Mike

Sathyan

Second Unit
If I can just add on to this thread (still related to country music)

what is available on hi-rez (SACD, DVD-A, 180g LP) in the country genre?

I have the Shania Twain DVD-A ("Up!") but is there anything else released yet?

George See

Second Unit
You can get George Straits Honkeytonkville on DVD-A and SACD.

Van Lear Rose is a pretty enjoyable album can't really go wrong with a purchase.

Somewhere in between country and other types of music you could find Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers i'd definitly recomend them.

Jim Rakowiecki

Stunt Coordinator
You wouldn't regret "Van Lear Rose". I rarely buy music because a it gets good reviews but Sound & Vision was right on the money on this one. Loretta Lynn is as country as they come and I think that really comes out in this record.
I would also pick up the above mentioned Dolly Parton records.
I would also suggest the records that Johnny Cash did on American with Rick Ruben.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
I must agree about Dolly's "Little Sparrow." Simply a masterful album by one of country music, or any genre of musics, greatest singer-songwriters.

As far as VAN LEAR ROSE, I still have to say that out of all the music that has come out this year, Loretta's album has been the most refreshing. I have listened to it over and over since the day it came out and I don't have a single moment of regret that I bought that this recording. I just hope that she stands to get a few awards the next go around.

Not only is the release brillant in everything about it, it is the most honest album that I think that I have ever heard.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
John, I remember Sous-ie and her Band-shee's. I even have one of her 80's vinyl platters. What's so hard or daring about what I say'ed?:)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Sathan, there be more on yond horizon than thee have yet to hail.

Buy all the Sugar Hill's Sack-Dee's. The Jerry Douglas album is bitchin'. He does LITTLE MARTHA on the dobro quite nicely and that's just a little finishing touch to this dobro tour de force. Nickel Creek's 2nd album, THIS SIDE, is better than the 1st, IMO, to my tastes anyway. You could get both and decide for yourself. Chris whatz-his-name, the guitarist for NC has a solo album, it purr-dy fair. Dolly Parton doing Stairway To Heaven, yes-way, although after a couple listens I realized that radio really has ruin't that song for me, even if it is Dolly!

Willie Nelson's STARDUST on Sony S-L is super smooth and analog sounding, that's the way uh-huh I like it...;) It meets or exceeds the vinyl, IMO.

Vince Gill's HIGH LONESOME SOUND just released. Allison Moorer's SHOW, Gary Allan's SEE IF I CARE, Jorma Kaukonen's BLUE COUNTRY HEART is one of the best sounding Sack-dee's bar none, Steve Earle's GUITAR TOWN, Mary Chapin Carpenter's TIME*SEX*LOVE*, Johnny Cash AT FOLSOM PRISON, Martha's Trouble's STILL, Rory Block's LAST FAIR DEAL is some blues/country fusion sort'a, Leo Kottke's 6 AND 12 STRING GUITAR, Dave Alvin's BLACKJACK, ummm, I running out...

Martha's Trouble's STILL from www.cdbaby.com is really nice!!!:emoji_thumbsup: I've heard that Joe Weed's THE VULTURES was put on SA-CD in a limited run, but I have not been able to track down a copy...now I'm out'a here! :)

Craig

Second Unit
Car Wheels On A Gravel Road - Lucinda Williams - got to throw that one in here. Great songwriting and the album is strong from start to finish.

Darryl

Stunt Coordinator
MickeS said...

Well, Dolly Parton's "Little Sparrow" and "Halos and Horns" are both available as SACD hybrids...

DaveDickey

Stunt Coordinator
Another great country DVDA is the Silverline release called Classic Country. It's a compilation of original country stuff - the sound is very good and you get a variety of artists.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
When I say "real" country I know that is open to interpretation(sp) but for me this means music like Lorretta's, Parton's, George Jones, Cash, etc. etc, the stripped-down/honest/no-flash stuff you almost never hear on the radio anymore. I.e. the twangy music that freaks out casual music fans & makes one think about rusty pick-up trucks, kids in overalls playing with their dog in a sunlit field and intimate stories--sad or happy--about people's lives.

THAT kind of country music.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
"Martha's Trouble"

Rachael: Er, is that an album or a warning about not buying that particular brand of pancake mix? :)

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
OK, we have some country afficianados here...question for you.

I am not a huge fan of country music, but I am a huge fan of good guitar playing. And having seen Vince Gill abso-freakin'-lutley rip it up on various award shows, I can say without reservation that he is a guitar monster.

So, where would I start with Vince Gill? I can live w/o the slow ballad stuff, but is there a VG recording of mostly up tempo, guitar-centric stuff?

BGL

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Lance, it ain't a Martha Stewart album, but sounds like one.:) Wanna hear the Flintstones Theame made into kuntry music? If so get Martha's Trouble!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks