What's new

I think *Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy* is coming to Region 1!!! (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Well, we've talked about it in various threads:
  • http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6812&highlight=hitchhikers

...and we know it's coming to the USA on VHS in Spring 2002:

http://www.bbcamericashop.com/default.asp?cpa=product&rpa=2&id=184&mdm=Videos%2FDVD

But "Hive4Media", the website which Video Store Magazine is based out of, now has in their on-line buying guide for retailers a listing for a Region 1 HHGttG DVD! Click on the VSM logo to see:

http://www.hive4media.com/buying_guide/scripts/bg_title_details.cfm?id=9549&format=3&nextstart=541

It shows a pre-book date (the day retailers must finalize their orders) of 4/2/02. While a street date isn't shown on that detail page, this listing page here shows a street date of 4/30/02!!

Sometimes Hive4Media gets their format info mixed up, and say DVD when it is really VHS. But since the list price here is shown as $10 higher than the BBC America page shows the list for the VHS, I suspect that this really IS a new DVD item that BBC America hasn't updated on their site yet!

Sorry to babble on so long, but I'm excited beyond words! But I shall try really hard to remember the two most important words of all:

...DON'T PANIC!

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I wonder if they will be re-releasing the original BBC radio broadcasts?

- Steve

Julie K

Screenwriter
Ooooohhhh I hope so!!!! I so want to grab my towel, mix up a couple of pan galactic gargleblasters, and enjoy HHGTTG on DVD.

Matt Krapf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Oooh! I do hope they re-release the Full BBC Radio Plays.
I had them on tape, but they were stolen. They were SO well produced.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
This is indeed good news. I still have a copy that I taped off of PBS about fifteen years ago, but that's a mess.

Thanks for the scoop!

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
BBC have a better DVD output on region 1 then they do on domestic R2. R1 WILL get Hitchhiker, I am bloody well sure of it (and you'll probably get nicer cover art to boot!)!

Dan (UK)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Dan, I was thinking as I posted those pics that I liked the R2 DVD cover better than the R1 VHS cover (which will probably be duplicated for the R1 DVD cover).
Why? Anything would be better than recycling the same damn cover art from the books, which are the same as the books I bought in 1981!!!
A little change-up would be cool...

tyler O

Stunt Coordinator
This is truly wonderful news, if true. This is something I am truly looking forward to replacing on VHS. Too much to hope for a commentary from Mr. Adams unless he had some foresight in the matter. It would be nice to have H2G2 in all it's forms and permutations in our digital beloved. Now if Terry Gilliam can just get that movie made... ;)

M

MaxY

I love this series but I think I will pass until my Laser Disc Player dies as I have the LD set of them.

Max

Kurt N

Stunt Coordinator
a) I really, really, really hope this is true. Must get iy asap.

b) Thank you, David for putting "I think" in the title. So often, when I get to the thread, it turns out that this release my be coming out, based on something overheard at a meeting of the Anaheim, Azuza, & Cucomonga Sewing Circle, Book Review & Timing Association.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Thank you, David for putting "I think" in the title. So often, when I get to the thread, it turns out that this release my be coming out, based on something overheard at a meeting of the Anaheim, Azuza, & Cucomonga Sewing Circle, Book Review & Timing Association.
:D
I've been victim of that a couple of times myself. I decided that the qualifier was safer. I personally think it's gonna come, but I SURE would hate to look too damn stupid if it doesn't.
After all, it's just my interpretation/extrapolation of what I'm seeing. Unless your name is Martin Blythe or one of the many other luminaries who hang around the HTF, you probably don't know anything for certain...and even if you are one of them, shit happens.
We have some VERY well-informed folks who hang out here. I'm not one of them, so I won't try to front like that. ;)

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Yay! I loved the book when I was reading it eariler this school year(senior year), and I was reading up on the BBC thread a number of times. Well now for the payoff with this great set. Does this have the first book or has that and other books(Resturant at the End of the Galaxey and others).

By the way, the VHS cover looks different from the copy at my school. It has a picture of a number of colored balls on a strange alien land. I doubt it from the planet maker place.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Arthur: "'Do you know that robot can hum like Pink Floyd? What else can you do, Marvin?"

MTPA: "Rock and roll..." (heavily filtered version of Beatles' Rock & Roll Music plays...)

I hope they decide to make it episodic rather than continuous like the old FOX/BBC version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks