What's new

I Think 'Frasier' Jumped The Shark On Tuesday (1 Viewer)

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I agree. It's like the last 2 seasons of FRIENDS. It's all about who will Rachel choose. I thought it was a comedy, not a romantic comedy...

Mark Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
Hate to burst into this thread here, but with all of the talk about "Very Special" episodes, did anybody here see the "very special" episode of South Park where Kenny died for good? It very shrewdly parodied all of those sitcom cliches, with Kenny dying of a terminal disease in the hospital. Extreme melodrama ensues on everybody's part. The twist, of course, is that Kenny dies all the time and usually nobody bats an eye.

Now, one year later, Niles is in the hospital. Extreme melodrama ensues. Groan!!!

Oh, and if any of you say that South Park has jumped the shark, I'll flatten ya! It's funnier than ever!

mike martin

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, and if any of you say that South Park has jumped the shark, I'll flatten ya! It's funnier than ever!
This is entirely beside the point; but is that "flatten ya" remark something you always say or is it from a movie? Bennie from Circle of Friends says something similar and it always makes me crack a smile. Yes, I very much enjoyed that movie, now leave me alone!

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Well, I've watched it now and found it to be good, actually, despite mi initial hesitation. I normally don't like too much drama with my sitcoms, but it worked very well. "Frasier" has a knack for making it dramatic without overdoing it, remember that episode from last season (or if it was the season before it) where Marty goes to the parole hearing for example.

Mark Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
I don't remember where "I'll flatten ya" came from but it always makes me laugh too.
As for the topic at hand, I haven't really watched Frasier since after Niles and Daphne got together. No real reason but I just haven't cared as much anymore. I would say that they jumped the shark at that time, but it may be as funny as ever.
That being said, I did catch a few minutes of this "very special" episode, mainly because when I saw the promos I couldn't help but be reminded of that South Park episode. I turned the show on when Niles is talking about whether a hospital has memories, and I couldn't help but laugh. Not exactly the desired result of the scene. It's just that so many shows use that storyline. In fact the first time I remember seeing it was on none other than the original shark-jumper, Happy Days. Richie was in a coma or something. It's a plotline that proves to me that the writers have been really stuck lately. Way too many sitcoms have yanked that same heartstring over the years, and the fact that it's still happening shows me just how lazy some of these writers are. South Park just drove that point home with me when I saw Kenny die that final time. It took every cliche in this overused idea and beat it to a pulp.
By the way, Homer Simpson has been in the hospital too many times to remember, and none of you have ever shed a tear for him! :D
Oh, and Jeffrey, I agree with you: Niles with a baby could be a great idea. Sure it's overused too, but this is at least a natural progression of his and Daphne's relationship. Of course, they're probably saving that for the season finale.

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
Frasier "jumped the shark" four seasons ago when it became the "Niles and Daphne" show. Also alot of the creative geniuses behind the scenes are no longer there, and there's been a drop in quality.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I also don't like the way Frasier changed into a complete asshole. He used to be slightly arrogant and pompous but in a funny way. Now he's a total prick with almost no redeeming qualities.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks