What's new

i think fireworks is a waste of money (1 Viewer)

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Some of you guys are ridiculous.

"Live up to it's potential rather than shooting off symbolic fireworks."

Now, go back and read this again and see how silly it seems.

Yeah Felix, and like food, you just eat it and that's it. No return on it man. Wow, like if food were only available in Pan and $$$cam, I wouldn't eat.

Whew.

It's friggin' fireworks people. Get OVER IT.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
John Thomas Quote:

Some of you guys are ridiculous.

"Live up to it's potential rather than shooting off symbolic fireworks."

Now, go back and read this again and see how silly it seems.
-------------------------

I have read the thread. So why don't you pin point why my statement is wrong or out of place? Perhaps, then I'll reconsider.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
hey at least with a dvd you can re-watch it whenever you like! fireworks? boom, and thats it.
It's called "Entertainment". Most forms over entertainment don't reward you physically and aren't always "worth" what you spend your money on. Most are done for the shear excitement and thrill.

Have you ever been to a carnival? Hundreds of people ride these rides that last 3 or 4 minutes and then it's over. Do they walk away with something physical that they can relive in the future? No. They do it because they like the thrill of the ride. How about these people that drive their cars to the go-cart track and get in a car and drive around a track. Why not save the money and drive your own car? ;)

What about those crane games where you throw dollar after dollar into so you can watch this weak old metal crane drop down on a bunch of crappy stuffed animals only to come up short handed. Are the toys in that machine really "worth" the money you're spending? No. It's just the excitement of actually winning something.

Just like fireworks. Some people like the thrill of lighting a firework and running away before it explodes. To them, it's worth every penny they spent. To say "boom, and thats it" is a bit of an understatement.

p.s. Some people also don't understand why people watch a movie more than once, so the "with a dvd you can re-watch it whenever you like" wouldn't be the best argument to make as to why DVD's aren't a waste of money.

Sorry to say it, but I know of a LOT of people that think my DVD collection is a "big waste of time and money".

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
I honestly think that consumer fireworks are a waste of money. No, not the cheapo bottle rockets and firecrackers, but I am talking about the expensive stuff. I honestly don't see the point in buying something really expensive that you light up and goes boom. I'd rather buy a game, DVD, or CD than buy fireworks.

One thing I hate about fireworks is that they annoy the hell out of me. I am usually in Missouri, where fireworks are legal, over the 4th. And when I try to get to sleep on the night of the 4th, I get annoyed by the constant sound of fireworks exploding and can't fall asleep.

I don't care if you buy fireworks and use them, but just don't shoot them off when I am trying to get some sleep! :D

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
I guess I shouldn't be so taken aback; I suppose everything else besides DVDs is "a waste of money" to a forum full of HT people.

How about $250 million to one baseball player? Doesn't that seem a bit more out of whack than someone going and picking up $20 worth of sparkles/rockets for their kid to enjoy?

As far as living up to the country and its potential, Reginald, what do you expect? "Ok folks - let's lay these silly wasteful noisemakers down and clean up this country and do what's right. Yo-ho!"

Sheesh.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
well, mark hastings...i do consider the things you mentioned in your post a waste of money. like smoking cigarettes...what good does it do? but anyway, i see your points though.

back in my home country, they dont let people sell / buy fireworks. because there are too many uneducated / naughty people who mischievously throw the fireworks into somebody else's garden / house just for fun. and there were too many fatal accidents in the past.

anyway, at least i can still enjoy the 4th of july fireworks show!

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
I enjoy fireworks ok. I spend a minimal amount on them. I don't go crazy aobut them. I'd personally rather buy dvd's, but hey, it that's your thing, have at it. To each their own. :emoji_thumbsup:

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
because there are too many uneducated / naughty people who mischievously throw the fireworks into somebody else's garden / house just for fun.
of course that falls into a bigger category than just "a waste of money"

Fireworks aren't meant to destroy or annoy other people. They're meant to dazzle ones self by a flash a brilliant light in the sky. Even the big loud booms can be a source of excitement where you heart pounds from the initial blast.

As long as it's safe, it's definitely a lot of fun. I was at a picnic on Saturday and we saw a lot of fireworks. There were young children there who's eyes were wide open with the amazement of what the fireworks were doing. $20 worth of fireworks to make a child's face light up with amazement (mixed with a little bit of fear from the blast) is priceless.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
duh, that remind me of my son. last year he was scared to death, seriously. but this year, he enjoyed it very much. he was really excited to see, hear and feel the boom and bang of the chicago's lake shore fireworks. he didnt seem to enjoy smaller fireworks though.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
because there are too many uneducated / naughty people who mischievously throw the fireworks into somebody else's garden / house just for fun.
Don't forget Felix, in the country where we were born, law means $h1t to most people, especially the government officials (not to mention the president).

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
duh, that remind me of my son. last year he was scared to death, seriously. but this year, he enjoyed it very much. he was really excited to see, hear and feel the boom and bang of the chicago's lake shore fireworks.
Nah... it's a waste of money.

--
Holadem - do you have a point?

Ron Etaylor

Second Unit
I just wanted to chime in and say I am SO OVER fireworks. While I don't begrudge or criticize those who buy them and spend their money on them, it's just not for me anymore.
I'll make an exception for something superbly choreographed(i.e. Disney World) but for the most part, they bore me.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
yea, david, thats why i dont want to go back there. i feel like if i went back there, everything i learned here would be wasted.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
STocking up on them is a good idea, but here in Louisiana they suck up too much moisture and become duds.

About 2 years ago I suddenly got to where I didn't care about them anymore. But at one time New Years and I-Day were my most eagerly awaited times due to my love for fireworks. Mixing them together I was able to create different effects and types of explosions.

One continuous problem is that people that are otherwise reasonably smart will mutate into dumbasses and not even consider where their fireworks will fall after gravity gets the best of them. Many of these are still on fire resulting in leaves, pine needles and even grass burning if the season surrounding the fireworks has been very dry. For that reason I've only used them after there have been several days of rain. That's saying a lot for me since I like fire for some reason.

Then there are people that do really stupid shit like a case in Memphis back in the 70's. A kid took a firecracker and stuck it into a drum filled with volatile liquid resulting in death. The contents of that drum probably never crossed his mind.

Mark Frank

Stunt Coordinator
Couple of comments:

1) Whatever you do, please do it safely. I'll admit to having bottle rocket fights in my youth. However, that was before my younger sister almost lost her right eye when a bottle rocket hit her there. She was lucky to get away with only impaired vision in one eye.

2) We have some neighbors 3 houses down that go ALL OUT with fireworks every year. There is a big open area behind our houses and this year they wired up four pallets full of aerial fireworks. The cool thing was they used long fuses or whatever so that they only lit the display once and everything went off one after another. It lasted a good 15 minutes and would give small towns a run for their money.

3) Definitely hit the after July 4th sales. I promised my kids I would buy some fireworks that we could shoot off and hit one of the severely discounted stores last night. I walked out with about $130 worth for $22. The store owner threw in an entire bag of stuff for free.

Users who are viewing this thread