What's new

I think a SE of Event Horizon would be nice. (1 Viewer)

Brian Mixon

Agent
I have never seen a jumpier horror then when I saw Event horizon at the theatre. There are just so many parts when it goes from complete silence to scare the hell out of you LOUD.
So when I finally got a kickass home theatre I was hoping to show this movie to people that didnt have the peasure of having a heart attack at the theatre(plus to scare the crap out of myself again).
But then I found out the dvd's a pile of first generation non anamorphic crap with stair stepping on top.
Does anyone know if theres a planned special edition? Am I the only one who'd buy it?

Topher

Stunt Coordinator
I'm right there with you on this one. I personally loved the movie when it came out. Haven't seen it in a long time, have held out on the first release because of what you mentioned and hopefully they will release it again with at least an updated transfer.

TomWoodward

Second Unit
There's a new special edition coming out in region two land, which will presumably make it to the US eventually. It hasn't been officially announced yet though.

Adnan Khan

Auditioning
As much as I hate Paul Anderson's body of work, "Event Horizon" is a suprisingly good produce. Bring on the SE...

RickardL

Supporting Actor
The current UK R2 is anamorphic and with a lot of bass,
almost too much!!

From the review at www.r2-dvd.org:
Paramount's 2.35:1 anamorphic transfer is spot on. Although a lot of the movie is shot in darkened corridors, those well light scenes do show plenty of strong colour that is lock solid. There is a lot of detail in the sets of the two space ships and this is well represented by the DVD. We didn't notice any real grain in the picture and even the drifting smoke doesn't cause any blocking or pixelisation. For the record the average bit rate is 7.2 Mb/Sec with barely a drop below 7Mb/Sec.

As for the DD 5.1 sound mix it has to be said that this is awesome, especially if you have a decent sub-woofer in your system. Make sure everything lose in your room is nailed down or else the sub harmonics filling th room will shake them lose. Despite the amount of bass being pumped out for the majority of the movie, the central dialog track is clear and understandable and there are plenty of split surround moments to excite your rear speakers.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
Maybe a director's cut? There was an article in Fangoria a few years back about how much stuff never made the final cut. I wouldn't mind a longer version.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I'd enjoy seeing the longer cut, as there was over a half an hour of character development that got snipped. Unfortunately, Anderson sees the theatrical cut as his preferred cut, from what I've heard.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
I really like the art direction/design in this film, US film made in the UK, yes?
Though it suffers from an 'idiot-driven plot'* at times, but still a good film- I would love to see a 16x9:b SE/extended version of this. Paramount, can you indulge us?

*where people do absolutely incredibly stupid thjngs just to keep the plot moving.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
Paramount did approach Paul W. Anderson (aka Paul Anderson) to do a special edition of Event Horizon), but he was busy with Resident Evil at the time. You do get a glimpse of one fo the deleted scenes from Event Horizon at the start of the theaterical trailer. I have read the novelization, and some stuff did get cut out. Ever since I read in Dreamwatch that Event Horizon lost 30 minutes due to a test screening of 10 people at Paramount, I wanted to see the longer version.

Be Seeing You,
David Blackwell

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Though the movie was panned (at least in the reviews I saw) when it came out, I did go and see it and it scared the crap out of me. I don't know if that would hold up on my TV at home, but I'd certainly be interested in a SE of this movie.

Jesse Blough

Second Unit
Apparently there's going to be a director's cut SE of Event Horizon... Sometime... When? I have no clue. He's been promising it for a while now.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Event Horizon is one of those movies I have been holding off getting on DVD in hopes of a SE. I've rented it whenever I get some new "toy" for my HT, and my wife is starting to give the old "NOT THAT ONE AGAIN!!!"

Dave Simpson

Second Unit
Belive it or not, my copy of this creepy flick on laserdisc looks perfectly acceptable on my FP set-up, and the AC-3 soundtrack (DD5.1 to you non-LD dudes :D ) rattles my teeth! Yep, an SE disc would be really keen. Cheers!

DS.

Neil_S

Stunt Coordinator
After watching Solaris last night I can see why so many people considered Event Horizon a copy.. Still, EV has to be one of the few movies that creaped me out and is on my list to show people who have never seen it.

I'd love and SE of it and would snag it quickly. I one request would be to change the music during the credits. The music totally changed to mood at the end the second the credits started to roll.

Rolando

Screenwriter
Oh man, I saw this with like 3 other people and I was the only one who liked it in the group.

Not sure what they missed but I thought this was a great movie somewhere between John Carpenter and Clive Barker...

BRING ON AN S.E.!!!

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Count me in as someone who would love to see an SE for this. I really enjoyed it, kind of a cross between Alien and Hellraiser.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Event Horizon is not a Solaris remake. It is a Black Hole remake. I don't know how many times I am going to have to explain this before people accept it as God's-law-carved-in-stone fact that it obviously is. IMHO of course :D

That being said, I only have 27" TV and think that the transfer looks fine. I just never think to test it on my neighbors 57".....

But I can't image the soundtrack getting any better. Excellent use of LFE and surrounds.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I remember seeing EVENT HORIZON on the first day in the theater and the clouds outside were dark and blue (like thundershowers were going to come anytime). I would love to a director's cut of the movie.

Be Seeing You,
David Blackwell

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks