[I]The Princess and the Pirate[/I] due May 17

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Terry H, May 4, 2005.

1. Terry H

Terry H Second Unit

This nearly slipped past me. My favorite Bob Hope farce can be had for less than $10 - in technicolor! I really hope this is in good shape.

2. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    If it's even as good as the out of print Image release, it will be worth the price. Funny movie. I still await CAT AND THE CANARY from Universal to complete what I consider a fine collection of Bob Hope's best movies.

3. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

MCA/Universal also owns NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH, THANKS FOR THE MEMORY, LET'S FACE IT, SOME LIKE IT HOT (aka RHYTHM ROMANCE), and the all-star VARIETY GIRL. Sony (MGM) owns two worthy Hopes: ALIAS JESSIE JAMES and the very interesting comedy-drama with Lucille Ball about adultery in the 60s--THE FACTS OF LIFE. WB owns BACHELOR IN PARADISE ad the unworthy A GLOBAL AFFAIR. (They may own an oddity called THE IRON PETTICOAT--a collaboration between Bob Hope and Katharine Hepburn. The script and production values are poor but both stars acquit themselves surprisingly well despite differences on the set and the disparity of their individual styles.) Paramount owns BEAU JAMES (never on home video--the story of Jimy Walker, NYC mayor), OFF LIMITS, HERE COME THE GIRLS, and THAT CERTAIN FEELING. Perhaps Sony will re-issue THEY GOT ME COVERED, formerly from HBO/Warners.

4. Jae_E

Jae_E Agent

Does anyone know who has the rights to "Casanova's Big Night"?

5. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

Paramount still owns CASANOVA'S BIG NIGHT. Hope was at his best in costume pictures--MONSIEUR BEAUCAIRE, THE PRINCESS AND THE PIRATE, and CASANOVA'S BIG NIGHT...to mention nothing of the westerns (THE PALEFACE films, FANCY PANTS, and ALIAS JESSE JAMES). His anachronistic humor was even edgier than his topical references.

6. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve

I always liked this movie. One wouldn't think of Hope being in the same movie with Joan Fontaine and Basil Rathbone, but they're all here. Even Raymond Burr is in this one.

Charles H makes a very astute observation about Hope's anachronistic humor; I never thought of it that way, but it's true. Anachronistic humor is timeless and doesn't suffer from the same dated feeling as some of his topical humor. Those who remember Hope only as an octogenarian performer should check out his pre 60s films; there a number of truly great films in his catalog.

Steve

7. Bert Greene

Bert Greene Supporting Actor

Why is "Thanks for the Memory" 1938, so rarely seen? That's one Hope flick that I never recall running across, whereas I certainly remember seeing other early Hope's, like "Give Me a Sailor," "Never Say Die," and "Rhythm Romance" popping up on television in years past. Anyway, I'm looking forward to "Princess and the Pirate." It's quite a gem. The ending gag (the cameo) is priceless.

8. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

THANKS FOR THE MEMORY (1938) was made after THE BIG BROADCAST OF 1938 to reunite Bob Hope with Shirley Ross. It was more BAREFOOT IN THE PARK than it was THE GHOST BREAKERS and was a remake of an earlier film called UP POPS THE DEVIL. MEMORY introduced another great standard "Two Sleepy People" (by Loeser and Carmichael) and it was released on VHS.

9. Terry H

Terry H Second Unit

I see Fancy Pants is also available but I am not familiar with it. Is it recommended? In pretty good shape?

10. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

love this movie. Looking forward to getting it!

11. FrancisP

FrancisP Screenwriter

I also can't wait to get it but I am curious about its OAR since I see it is a full screen release on DVD.

12. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    PATP was filmed in 1944, a good eight years before widescreen was commonly displayed in theaters. 1.33:1 is the correct ratio.