What's new

I switched!! Did I do O.K.? (1 Viewer)

Wayne McRae

Stunt Coordinator
I've been demoing receivers for 2 months now and finally made my decision.I was going to pick up the Onkyo 898 on Saturday after grinding the poor salesman for the last 2 weeks.Last night on the way home from work,I stopped at a different B&M store to pick up a couple of DVD's and as usual I ended up in the audio section.Up on the shelf above all the Denon's,etc. was a Adcom GFA-7400.A 100x5 amp that was marked down to $800 U.S.This retails in Canada for around $1200 U.S so I offered the salesman $550 for it.He came back and said for $600 it was mine so I told him to wrap it up.Then he offered me a 6 year warranty for $60.I told him ,no thanks,it has 2 years and that was fine.While he was getting the amp,he talked to the manager and then offered me the amp for $560 if I took the warranty.So I walked out with the amp and a 6 year transferable warranty for $620.So basically I'm looking for some reassurance,did I do O.K? I'm going to power my old Denon receiver until the Outlaw reviews come in.Thanx for any input.

Wayner

Andrew_Ballew

Second Unit
As far as I know, that is an outstanding amp, perhaps under-rated, but I have no sources to back that up.

Welcome to the world of seperates! I, like you, am waiting on more info on the Outlaw. What else might you be thinking of as a pre/pro? I have a Sherwood-Newcastle AVP-9080, and while I love it I have already been bitten by the upgrade bug. I was even thinking of using the Pioneer Elite VSX-47 or 49tx as a pre/pro so I can have THX Ultra 2, and high-band component video switching.

Cheers

Andrew B.

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
I have just ordered the 47TX, after I payed it of I am going to use it as a pre pro as well. I am not currently looking at any amps right now as I have spent enough money this past month.

Wayne McRae

Stunt Coordinator
Andrew,I'm basically waiting on the Outlaw reviews.If their positive,I'm all over it.If their so-so,I'll look at the new Rotel which 2 local B&M's will carry,so they can fight for my business.But,if I start seeing that the 950 is good I'll order right away,then I just need to find a 2 channel Adcom for 7.1.The new Pioneers are so expensive in Canada,it would make you sick!!!

Wayner

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks