I still say Jim Carrey was robbed of an Oscar nod for 'MAN ON THE MOON'.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Inspector Hammer!, Jun 8, 2002.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Just for the hell of it I watched this great movie again yesterday after neglecting it for awhile in my collection, and rediscovered how absolutly brilliant Jim Carrey is playing Andy Kaufman! I love him in this movie and truly believe it's the best performance of his carreer so far, even better than his wonderful performance in 'The Truman Show' IMO.
    When I first saw this film, I was uttery CONVINCED that he would get his first Academy Award, and was shocked when he didn't get it! I'm glad he won the Golden Globe for it though, but he deserved Oscar gold for sure. I can't believe how much of Andy Kaufman Carrey was able to bring to the screen! The way he talked, the way he moved, and oh yes, the way he LOOKED. Just an amazing transformation. He captured Kaufman's wild eyed glare with sheer perfection.
    I knew I was in for a great and different film when I first saw that opening bit with the record player and the credits, it was hysterical, and I think Andy would have appreciated that. I guess i'm one of those people who got Andy's brand of entertainment, I think he was funny as hell, but i've only seen a handful of 'Taxi' episodes, but they all starred him. That whole thing with him messing with the vertical hold on his t.v. special to make people think that their t.v. was broken is something I would have done! [​IMG]
    I'll say this, I find it funny that Andy is somewhere in the afterlife laughing hysterically because people actually think he's still alive! Can you blame them!? His pranks in life were so elaborate and he would go to any lengths to pull them off, that he essentially rendered himself immortal in a strange sorta way.
    In the end, I think that Milos Forman has made a genius little gem of a film, and it's a shame those who don't like Andy or have never even given him much thought, don't even want to see this film. If they would just let their guard down and check it out, they might come away with a better understanding of who Andy Kaufman was. I never gave Andy a second thought until I saw this film, after that though I sought out anything I could find on him and can now honestly say I am a fan. I think it's ingenius the way he actually created a whole other person from thin air! And even more amazing, he made people believe he really exsisted! I'm referring of course to his alter ego, the foul mouthed, foul smelling Vegas lounge singer Tony Clifton.
    Andy screwed with people's heads, and I like that.
    He was loved, hated, and hated even more, particularly by women and the entire wrestling community, but what a lot of people don't understand is that it was all smoke and mirrors, he wasn't REALLY a jerk, he just wanted you to think he was. Love him, hate him, boo him, cheer him, it was all acceptable to him, just REACT!
    Shame on the Academy for not recognizing Jim, shame! Was he even nominated?
    EDIT: Man, it seems I went on about Andy Kaufman more than Jim Carrey! I guess this could double as the Andy Kaufman appreciation thread as well. [​IMG]

2. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

3. Guy_K

Guy_K Second Unit

Carrey won the Golden Globe for best dramatic performance, and wasn't even nominated for the Oscar (For the Truman Show). How many times has that ever happened?

He was remarkable in Man on the Moon, but I think the Academy Awards thinks they're too "prestigious" to honor Carrey.

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

5. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

You know, it's funny. He gives a reasonably good "dramatic" performance in Man on the Moon or The Truman Show and people say he was robbed of an Oscar ("My god, he's as good as a real actor!"). He gives an astonishing physical comedy performance that practically defies belief (and the laws of human physiology) in Liar Liar or The Mask and no one bats an eyelash.
    No wonder Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Harold Lloyd, etc. never won Oscars (although they were ALL given honorary ones).
    I'd like to have seen Laurence Olivier beat himself up with a toilet seat...convincingly. [​IMG]

6. Rain

Rain Producer

I agree that Carey should have been nominated for an Oscar for Man on the Moon.

Unfortunately, I think his performance is the best thing about the otherwise mediocre film.

7. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Well, you really can't "be robbed" of something you don't have in the first place! [​IMG]

8. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Amen Mitty!

Unfairly denied a nomination, perhaps, though I thought he was more deserving in Truman Show considering how incredible that film was (and was nominated itself). But then again the only nomination I would even begin to consider swapping for Jim's would be Nolte's. Everyone else was freaking great that year (in the actor catagory). It was a bigger shame to me that the Globes did NOT nominate Ed Norton for American History X that year.

The next year I think Spacey and Crowe were neck and neck for #1 and Washington was very strong too. Maybe you deny Farnsworth I suppose as Penn was also excellent.

Let's see, how many leading actor wins did that group have at that point...oh yeah, zero. So it's not like the Academy was handing it out to favs. DW had to wait till this year, Crowe had to wait till the year after. Penn is still waiting.

9. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I'm a huge Kauffman fan, and I didn't really see the big deal about Man in the Moon. It was a cute piece of entertainment, but all it really did was re-enact some of the famous Kauffman bits. It didn't explain why Kauffman did what he did, just showed Carrey acting it out. Most of that stuff is capture on video, and Kauffman did it better. It really didn't give any insight into the man himself. The movie's entertainment value was based on, "Oh yeah, I remember that."

Maybe, for me, it didn't have much of an impact because I already knew about Kauffman before seeing it. I guess it would be better for someone who only knew about Latke.

The one thing I liked was the scene where Kauffman is thanking Jerry Lawler (sp?) for participating in the whole "controversial" feud. I guess that answers the infamous question, "How much of it was fake?"

Carrey's performance was OK, but I always I felt I was watching Carrey-doing-Kauffman and could never get passed that. It was a nice impression, but I never got any "soul" from it.

It seems to me that Carrey's dramatic performances are praised because, "Hey, it's pretty good for a comedian." And, yes, they are. But they don't hold a candle to the finer dramatic actors.

10. Rain

Rain Producer

11. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor

12. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Second Unit

I don't know...90% of the film was just Carrey imitating Andy based on old clips of previously filmed material. I felt that the performance was based more on mimicry rather than creating a character.

13. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

14. MickeS

MickeS Producer

By acting like a jerk. Is there really any difference? I thought he was a great comedian, but let's face it, the guy WAS a jerk. [​IMG]
    /Mike

15. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

16. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Mike's right, you are who you are to others. People love to hide behind "I'm really not like that" or "He's really not like that".

Yeah, and I'm actually a much better hitter than Barry Bonds, I just don't show it in public.

Andy was an annoying SOB, he relished in being a jerk to others. At the end of the day when you look at the scoreboard for Andy you see tons of moments when he was rude to people, it wasn't just when the camera was on.

Maybe he wanted to be a nice person, but he simply wasn't very good at it based on all the interviews I've heard.

17. Luc D

Luc D Second Unit

Paul, I completely agree with you. That's exactly what I thought when I watched the film. In that respect I wasn't as shocked to see him get snubbed.

18. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

Mike Broadman, I agree completely. Actually, I saw several bio's on Andy Kaufman around the time I saw Man on the Moon, and I thought each of them was more informative and more entertaining. I'd liken giving Carrey an Oscar for this to giving Rich Little an Oscar for doing an impersonation of Orson Welles in Citizen Kane--he may get the impression right on, but is an impression Oscar-worthy?

I was actually rather releived that Carrey didn't get the Oscar, to be honest. I was so put off and annoyed by his "I'm channeling Andy's spirit" schtick, that I was glad to see it go. While a lot of people seemed in awe at his antics during this, I thought it was at best silly. I remember seeing an interview with Jerry Lawler that came out a while after the movie was released and the buzz had died down. He told how, after Carrey went around in a neck brace and claimed that Lawler had eerily injured him just as he had injured Kaufman years earlier performing the same move (piledriver), Lawler had brushed it off in another interview and said it (and the whole "channeling Andy" gag) was just a publicity stunt. The studio then contacted him and informed him of the error of his ways, and that he had to go along with it for the time being. Since he was paid well for the job, he agreed. Whether Lawler is a reliable source may or may not be debatable, but he seemed sincere at the time.