What's new

I started my A/V 1 enclosures! (1 Viewer)

Ryan T

Second Unit
HI,
I just finished building the GR-research A/V 1 enclosures.
It took about 7 hours to make them. I modified the enclosure because I wanted tower speakers; you can see a pic here. Sorry for the crummy resolution.
http://ryans_ht.tripod.com/av1s/
The enclosures are 37" high, 8" wide, and 10.75" deep.
I need to buy the kits and assemble them, then put the top on the enclosure to complete them. I want to thanks Brian Bunge for cutting my baffles. NathanP (a former HTFer) is also building Dayton D III's. Once they’re complete we will compare them to see which sounds better.
Ryan

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Ryan,
You're welcome, but you definitely need a higher resolution picture to properly show off my work! :)
Brian
P.S. Yours will sound better than Nathan's! ;)

Ryan T

Second Unit
Yeah when I get back to my house I will try and get better pictures (I'm still at my grandparent’s house). I went ahead and but a brace in between the woofer and tweeter to help with resonance. I have one question to ask before I leave. I left the top off the enclosure because I'm worried that the woofer hole might not be big enough to fit the assembled crossover through. So I'm wondering how you guys did you enclosures. If I can put on the top and finish the enclosures here that would be better than me trying to do it at home.

Thanks,

Ryan

Kevin Deacon

Second Unit
Ryan, I just finished my set of A/V 1's and I assembled my crossover on a 4" x 8" piece of pegboard. It fit through the woofer hole without a problem. Make sure you line the inside with whatever damping material before sealing the box (much easier). I used 3 sheets of 30# roofing felt (about a 1/4" thick), for damping, to line the inside of my cabinets. I then used Walmart bed mattress foam over the felt after screwing the crossover to the inside, bottom of the cabinet.

I took a chance and veneered the outside before cutting the tweeter recess and hole. I've always had a problem, on my other projects, getting the veneer to look perfect around the recesses when veneering after the holes are cut. My new approach worked great, although I was severely nervous. The edge of the veneer meets perfectly with the edge of the tweeter face.

Good Luck,

Kevin

Ryan T

Second Unit
Thanks Kevin! I think I will go ahead and finish the enclosures. So how did the A/V 1's sound? I think I'm going to cover my A/V 1's in black speaker grill fabric or paint them.

Ryan

Martice

Screenwriter
Ryan are those floor standing AV1's or is my video card messed up? Either way it looks rather nice.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Martice,

It could be done, but they'd need to be sand filled for resonance dampening. Could work well though. I personally would just opt for the AV3's if I wanted towers though. They are still dirt cheap. I might go that route after I get my 18" subwoofer complete. I still have to try the AV1+'s first before I start thinking about AV3's.

Brian

Ryan T

Second Unit
Brian,

I saw your A/V 1+'s you built for Martice. They look great! I just have a question about the brace. Is that a standard design for braces between the mid-bass and tweeter? I did the exact same thing as you but with just one brace instead of two. It was really wired because I have never seen that design before. Now I just need to sell my Titans so I can get money for the speakers and crossovers. I'm still looking for a good digital camera to get some quality pics of my speakers. I ran out of time so I did not put the top on yet. I guess it's better that way because now I can get pics on the insides better. they only problem so far is the towers are a bit tipsy. There 8" wide and 37" high so it's easy for them to fall over. I hope speaker spikes will help. If not I will attach a bigger base and then spike that to the floor. by the way did you notice that Danny Richie is now a member of Home Theater Forum? I think it will be very helpful to have him here to answer questions.

Ryan

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Ryan,
Yes, Martice's enclosures were built exactly to Danny's specs except that he showed all the braces as being 1/2" material and I used 3/4" material. The AV-1's have no bracing at all but I do think that a single shelf brace could make them a bit more dead. The sides are pretty deep so I think a brace could be very helpful. But I didn't brace mine and them seem fine. I will be adding some Black Hole 5 to them if I can ever get around to it.
And 8" is a bit narrow. My ACI Opals are 10" wide and 38" tall and they could get a bit tipsy without spikes. Even with them if one of mine 70 lb. dogs bumped them they would rock a little. I'd add a base at least an inch wider in each direction and add spikes.
I'm glad that Danny has joined the forum so that I don't have to field all of the questions concerning his products. Of course, Jeff Lam always chimes in, and soon you will be also! :)
Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks