I start college tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MatthewA, Aug 14, 2002.

1. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I am majoring in an Associate in Arts degree at Alamance Community College; this program can eventually be used to transfer to any of the 16 state-owned public universities.

2. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Good luck Matthew. College was the best time I EVER had in my life. [​IMG] Enjoy the time. No need to rush it. Sow those oats.

3. RossTerry

RossTerry Guest

my little bit of advice:

dont get an 8am class (unless you really need the class)

go to class

4. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

I'm gonna start my first day as a 26-year-old freshman on Monday. . . :b

5. Rob Tenniswood

Rob Tenniswood Stunt Coordinator

Ah yes...College...my days of sobriety, hard working, long, sleepless nights...all over the day I started college. Don't drink to little, don't get up too early, and never take your eyes off the prize...the hot, HOT co-eds. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have 3 years of college left to enjoy...

6. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Well, I would be attending college this semester to finish up my A.A. degree. However, due to money problems, I won't be able to afford it 'till next semester. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Joe_C

Joe_C Supporting Actor

8. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    ah, brings back memories.
    many undergrads I recall were all itching to graduate and get out of school and into the big bad world. not me. I knew I had it good, and that those were the best days, at least in terms of being the most fun.
    the ONLY consolation of "growing up", getting a "real job" and the attendant stress thereof, is earning "real" money and being able to afford nice HT gear and as many DVDs as I want [​IMG]

9. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

Ah, college... I loved it so much I'm going back to VCU starting Monday the 26th for my Master's degree--so I can then teach college. It never ends.

10. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

My advice: Everytime you see a hottie and you think, "I won't even talk to her because she's so above my station..." TALK TO HER, because you will never ever ever get another chance to do the stuff you can get away with in college.
    Living in the past,
    MC

11. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    I start teaching on Aug 27. It's much better to be the teacher than the student, although I do miss the college lifestyle. I love this time of the year.

12. ollie_k

ollie_k Stunt Coordinator

all I can say is this: mmmmmmmmmmmm beeeeeeerrrrrrrrrr
    ah those were the days, where $20 buys you drinks all night till 3am , and then with $2 left you can eat taco bell

13. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

Have fun. I move back for my second year in a little over a week. My time there last year was the best of my life thus far and I intend on having more fun this year [​IMG]
    I even set aside money for a "beer fund" this year so I don't always have to live off the crap beer!

14. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Second Unit

Ahh, memories. There are a lot of good tips I've learned, here are a few of them.
    1. Don't be afraid to drop a class. You may be a 4.0er... I wasn't. Test: if you're D-F level by midterm, drop it. "I'll pull it up to a B in the second half of the semester..." Never. Classes get progressively harder; if you're not flying by midterms, you're toast. This goes especially for CompSci/Engineering and the like.
    2. Take it easy the first semester. Dont try to kill yourself with 16-20 credits. , and don't take real early classes. You'll be just adjusting to a new world, with many distractions. Take as little as possible, and take easier classes, like some of the required classes; Freshman lit, and the like. After you nail the first semester, crank it up in the spring. Then you'll be used to the flow and better able to handle a heavier load. This goes triple if you rush a frat.
    3. Consistency!!!!!! Do your damn homework, (If you aren't assigned any, make up your own!) I did my best work in classes where I had to turn in homework every day. (ADD) If you consistently bang out work and reading, you won't be destroyed come exam time. I've had a calc class with no homework, and I learn quickly, so what happened is that the professor would explain problems on the board, and I waa like "I got that", and this would go on, no homework, "I got that", but on test day, it was "What the heck is this?":b and GO TO EVERY CLASS!!!!!!
    4. If you want to get great grades, tape all the lectures, and then check your notes; There can be a lot that you miss.
    5. Have fun, and don't be in a hurry; College is usually more fun than work.... (no more killer summer vacations!)
    Have a great time, and learn something, will ya?
    Oh, have a great system too! Get good headphones (grado sr-60's come to mind... great for the price), spend some good time in solitude, This is the time you can really probe what you want to do for a living. Read Rich Dad, Poor Dad and Suze Orman's 9 Steps to financial freedom for info that they won't teach you (i.e. how to survive financially!)
    ok, I'm done. (I think.) [​IMG]
    Enjoy, Enjoy, Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

I agree with most of the advice already given. Always remember why you are there in the first place (hint: it's not to party!). As a third year Forensics major at University of Central Florida I have seen too many kids come, party way too hard, and flunk out.

Set aside some time every day (for your first year probably < 2 hours) to study. After the homework is done, reward yourself and go do whatever you like. Contrary to popular belief, good grades and good fun can co-exist with each other. It takes discipline, but it's well worth it. Good luck!!!

16. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

It's my senior year at Loyola University Chicago, and I'm an RA, and I'm just letting you all know that I am going to have to document this alcohol situation, and if you don't cooperate, I will have to contact my grad and public safety.

17. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

what is with all the people that ENJOY college? OMG I hate it. Thank god fall is my last term, I can't take much more of it [​IMG]

18. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Second Unit

Matt, you're going to U Can't Finish? [​IMG] I was there 84-87, then left for other schools, and to make a long story short, ended up at U of Iowa. Ucf was fun, but I wish it was less of a commuter college (at least it was then...) Are you in a frat there?

19. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

Matthew, so how was your first day?

~T