I start college tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MatthewA, Aug 14, 2002.

1. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I am majoring in an Associate in Arts degree at Alamance Community College; this program can eventually be used to transfer to any of the 16 state-owned public universities.

2. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Good luck Matthew. College was the best time I EVER had in my life. [​IMG] Enjoy the time. No need to rush it. Sow those oats.

3. RossTerry

RossTerry Guest

my little bit of advice:

dont get an 8am class (unless you really need the class)

go to class

4. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

I'm gonna start my first day as a 26-year-old freshman on Monday. . . :b

5. Rob Tenniswood

Rob Tenniswood Stunt Coordinator

Ah yes...College...my days of sobriety, hard working, long, sleepless nights...all over the day I started college. Don't drink to little, don't get up too early, and never take your eyes off the prize...the hot, HOT co-eds. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have 3 years of college left to enjoy...

6. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Well, I would be attending college this semester to finish up my A.A. degree. However, due to money problems, I won't be able to afford it 'till next semester. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Joe_C

Joe_C Supporting Actor

8. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    ah, brings back memories.
    many undergrads I recall were all itching to graduate and get out of school and into the big bad world. not me. I knew I had it good, and that those were the best days, at least in terms of being the most fun.
    the ONLY consolation of "growing up", getting a "real job" and the attendant stress thereof, is earning "real" money and being able to afford nice HT gear and as many DVDs as I want [​IMG]

9. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

Ah, college... I loved it so much I'm going back to VCU starting Monday the 26th for my Master's degree--so I can then teach college. It never ends.

10. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

11. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    I start teaching on Aug 27. It's much better to be the teacher than the student, although I do miss the college lifestyle. I love this time of the year.

12. ollie_k

ollie_k Stunt Coordinator

all I can say is this: mmmmmmmmmmmm beeeeeeerrrrrrrrrr
    ah those were the days, where $20 buys you drinks all night till 3am , and then with $2 left you can eat taco bell

13. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

Have fun. I move back for my second year in a little over a week. My time there last year was the best of my life thus far and I intend on having more fun this year [​IMG]
    I even set aside money for a "beer fund" this year so I don't always have to live off the crap beer!

14. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Second Unit

Ahh, memories. There are a lot of good tips I've learned, here are a few of them.
    1. Don't be afraid to drop a class. You may be a 4.0er... I wasn't. Test: if you're D-F level by midterm, drop it. "I'll pull it up to a B in the second half of the semester..." Never. Classes get progressively harder; if you're not flying by midterms, you're toast. This goes especially for CompSci/Engineering and the like.
    2. Take it easy the first semester. Dont try to kill yourself with 16-20 credits. , and don't take real early classes. You'll be just adjusting to a new world, with many distractions. Take as little as possible, and take easier classes, like some of the required classes; Freshman lit, and the like. After you nail the first semester, crank it up in the spring. Then you'll be used to the flow and better able to handle a heavier load. This goes triple if you rush a frat.
    3. Consistency!!!!!! Do your damn homework, (If you aren't assigned any, make up your own!) I did my best work in classes where I had to turn in homework every day. (ADD) If you consistently bang out work and reading, you won't be destroyed come exam time. I've had a calc class with no homework, and I learn quickly, so what happened is that the professor would explain problems on the board, and I waa like "I got that", and this would go on, no homework, "I got that", but on test day, it was "What the heck is this?":b and GO TO EVERY CLASS!!!!!!
    4. If you want to get great grades, tape all the lectures, and then check your notes; There can be a lot that you miss.
    5. Have fun, and don't be in a hurry; College is usually more fun than work.... (no more killer summer vacations!)
    Have a great time, and learn something, will ya?
    Oh, have a great system too! Get good headphones (grado sr-60's come to mind... great for the price), spend some good time in solitude, This is the time you can really probe what you want to do for a living. Read Rich Dad, Poor Dad and Suze Orman's 9 Steps to financial freedom for info that they won't teach you (i.e. how to survive financially!)
    ok, I'm done. (I think.) [​IMG]
    Enjoy, Enjoy, Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

I agree with most of the advice already given. Always remember why you are there in the first place (hint: it's not to party!). As a third year Forensics major at University of Central Florida I have seen too many kids come, party way too hard, and flunk out.

Set aside some time every day (for your first year probably < 2 hours) to study. After the homework is done, reward yourself and go do whatever you like. Contrary to popular belief, good grades and good fun can co-exist with each other. It takes discipline, but it's well worth it. Good luck!!!

16. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

what is with all the people that ENJOY college? OMG I hate it. Thank god fall is my last term, I can't take much more of it [​IMG]

17. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Second Unit

Matt, you're going to U Can't Finish? [​IMG] I was there 84-87, then left for other schools, and to make a long story short, ended up at U of Iowa. Ucf was fun, but I wish it was less of a commuter college (at least it was then...) Are you in a frat there?

18. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

Matthew, so how was your first day?

~T